Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: US offers compensation to EU and Antigua in WTO case

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone confirm the $500,000 Antigua amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

That is only the U.S. spin of how much (little) they believe that Antigua's lost business amounts to.

As to whatever trade concessions the US is offering as a way not open the online gaming market, Congress will have to approve same, and of course this is a different Congress. It seems to me that many in mid ranks of the DoJ and the Commerce Dept realize the [censored] hand they've been dealt, and are just attempting to delay and delay so that the problem ends up on someone else's watch. I mean if I were a USTO or DoJ official, apart from ethics and future job impact, it sure would be tempting to just let a filing deadline pass and say "oops".

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think the half million is for dispute settlement, not withdrawal of commitments?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM

ASSUMING the article author has it straight the 1/2 mill is for the damages. It was quoted with the 3.4bn number which is their damage req. Their renegotiation req is 7-7.5bn. I am just an armchair economist, but I hope Antigua hired good econometricians and the 3.4bn has solid merit, not just a negotiating #. I know the 1/2mill is far fetched, but I hope billions is where the WTO sees it.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:31 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread. Behind the ball, I just found out the EU Commissioner owns a race horse.

bloomberg

And, Grasshopper, I think NBR mentioned briefly again recently that AIG is buying out (maybe completed the buyout now of) that Dubai Ports position.