Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Dealing With Bad Players

PantsOnFire is right on. I might add though, that you also need to make some adjustments for multi-player pots. The more hands there are the more likely it is that there are strong hands (better than 1 or 2 pair). Have the will power to let these hands go if you might be beat. Also, there are some hands should NOT be played. Hands that might hit but are likely to be behind like Ax offsuit. Finally, do some hand reading. If, a possible flush shows up with 4 players in the hand be willing to give up if the pot odds aren't amazing.

Just play hands that are likely to crush the 3 or 4 other players that tag along for the ride (suited connectors, Ax s, small pairs).
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 PM

There are many good threads on dealing with bad and/or crazy players here, and I used the advice in them to great advantage in my last cash game (and hopefully again tonight). I've been playing with these guys for a while, and they're not "bad" so much as "not great", but like to gambool it up.

What mainly worked for me was becoming comfortable putting them on a range of hands and then making proper plays for that range. This put odds very much in my favor a lot of the time, and I didn't have to worry if they actually had that big strong hand any particular time, because I knew they wouldn't every time and that my good-ish hands would hold up in most situations. I got stacked a few times, but I tripled my buy-ins by the end.

This could be a fluke, but I'm holding to this strategy for a while. I also followed what PoF was saying, and became more aggressive overall, but selectively so.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:11 AM

One word = Patience

Good Luck!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't beat the bad players, maybe they are not the ones that are bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 PM

Bad beats from bad players sometimes are the result of failing to protect your hand. Sklansky's idea, but I remember it on bad beats and act accordingly.
If attempting to protect your hand does not work, then keep in mind that they are making mistakes. If you attempt to protect your hand, their mistakes become even biger.
In time, the better player will win because of odds.
Protect your hands and let the bad players make bigger mistakes when you make the pot bigger.
Bad beats by bad players is usually based on short term luck. In the long run(I mean very long), Luck seems to treat all players the same. You can not say that about skill or knowledge. Anyone can have short term luck! Short term is just what it states: Short Term.
In the long run, skill and ability will overcome short term luck.
Hang in there! The more you play with bad players, the more the odds are with you if you are a better player.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Forget about bluffing, forget about check-raising and forget about slowplaying (well actually betting less to give good draw odds to a second best hand might be useful). Use implied odds. Limp into the pot with every speculative hand you get. Raise preflop for value with every good hand. Bet when you are ahead and check when you are behind. Call when you have the odds and fold when you don't. Recognize betting patterns in these players and how they play various hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, AKA get as much in as you can when you've got them and minimize your losses elsewhere. These games are great and can be a lot of fun because you can open up your hand ranges if you can read cards well. Don't be discouraged if you lose a big pot, do what I do and buy back in max.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Like dealing with bluffers, you have to draw them out and if you slow play they will catch eventually and then you have no clue what to do
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i need help. The people I play with do not care about money at all, so they will call every bet, however most of the time the draw out on the river() Please give me some tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]. It just seems that they draw out "most" of the time. Thank the poker gods that you have a game like this and adjust your play.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 AM

Stop overvaluing 1-pair...You'll win a big pot when you hit the flop a little harder...Get rid of your sense of "pot entitlement"
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 AM

if they call any bet, overbet when youre obviously ahead...