Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: live game

[ QUOTE ]
well it was my opp who flopped the nut flush i only had a set after the flop on the turn i checked and the river i bet 500 and he called and turned his cards over and he had the spade flush

[/ QUOTE ]
First off, your first post says that there were only 2 spades, so he can't have flopped the nut flush, only the draw. If there were 3 spades on the flop, this post doesn't apply as much, but there is still some that is applicable.

If you're betting on the river, he's already seen whether he made his hand, and will most likely only call with a hand that has you beat, or raise you with a hand that has you crushed. He'll only fold with a hand that you can beat. So hopefully you can see why it's improper to do what you did. Bet the flop to cut down the odds villain has to hit his flush, and play to keep the pot as small as possible if a scare card comes (as a general strategy, obviously player and scenario dependant). You're doing the opposite: not betting into what is probably the best hand, and betting into a board where the only hands that call will beat you.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: live game

ok, "ace and 2 spades" = monochrome A-high flop?

5s7s is not the nuts. 8s2s beats it. KsXs would be the nuts on that flop. Opponent is actually worried, holding only a 7. If another spade falls, his hand is even less valuable at showdown. You may have been able to get him to fold at some point. relative position, stack sizes, player reads...?

If you KNOW an opponent has a flush and you have a set, you're on a draw to a full house or quads. Checking down might be ok, but bluffing at the river is not going to win money unless a scare card (for him, like the 2s) comes.

note that you don't know opponent has the flush on the monochrome flop. Against his likely RANGE, a bet is important. You're going to lose some money some of the time here, but you'll make a lot more the other times you hold AA and he holds 57s.