Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 07:25 PM

Default Re: What is Party Doing?

Once upon a time some people decided to set up online poker websites. They contracted good software, figured out an efficient way to get money in and out and provided good games. Lo and behold, they started to make over a million dollars a day profit. So the big guys said "Come and join the big guys' club, come and join the stock exchange, you can be one of us now, you can make more money than god".

So they did. And the big guys changed the rules. "Who the feck do you think you are, motherfecking upstarts? You really think you're going to be making this kind of money? Only we, the big guys make this kind of money. We're going to take your business away from you. Take your millions, retire and be happy - we own your business now. Welcome to the stock exchange".
Old 11-03-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shutup talking [censored] about my country, [censored] terrorist. Your probly not even heer legaly. And gold costs way too much paysos or whatever you [censored] call dolars for you to by even 1 pound of it, dipwad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borat has become a U.S. citizen and is posting on 2+2! Welcome 'heer'.

Okay, that last post was a reassuring validation of the US educational system. you don't need 'paysos' to buy (sorry, 'by') the gold, because you can always 'by' it on margin.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 AM

gonebroke u shouldnt be allowed to post for being a priiiick
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 AM

I can understand why publically traded companies don't want to be seen as flouting the law (even though they would seem to be wholly outside its jurisdiction). What I DONT see is this: from what I know, it'll take (up to) 270 days from signing into law for enforcement measures to be put into place. Why would ANY profit-maximizing company elect to leave the US market any sooner than the instant the new law is enforced?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand why publically traded companies don't want to be seen as flouting the law (even though they would seem to be wholly outside its jurisdiction). What I DONT see is this: from what I know, it'll take (up to) 270 days from signing into law for enforcement measures to be put into place. Why would ANY profit-maximizing company elect to leave the US market any sooner than the instant the new law is enforced?

[/ QUOTE ]

The illegality for gambling sites took effect immediately... it's the bank procedures that have the time window, which is why Neteller has some breathing room.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is why are they still advertising on TV in the US? How could people so stupid ever get to be the #1 poker site.

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is, how could you possibly be a winning poker player?

The advertising is prepaid genius.

They pulled out because they are following the law. PokerStars did not pull out because they are breaking the law. If you do not think that PokerStars is breaking the law, then ask them why they have postponed their IPO indefinetly. Fat chance the DOJ would go after the Israeli
owned site because America is already in bed with Israel.

You guys are all a bunch of [censored] morons. No wonder this country and the US Dollar is going down the tubes. I am going to double up on my Gold and Silver positions after seeing morons like you on this forum.

Have a nice day [censored]!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

That suggests to me a prop bet. Let's both take $10k out of our bankrolls (or anywhere esle you wanna draw the funds from) You put yours in gold and silver, I'll put mine in an S&P 500 Index fund.

25 years from now, we see whose investment is worth more. The loser has to ship their invesment plus appreciation to the winner.

Interested? If you'd prefer a risk free wager, we can stipulate that you - (oops, I mean the loser) ships only the earnings and keeps the initial 10k.

--Zetack
Old 11-03-2006, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
25 years from now, we see whose investment is worth more. The loser has to ship their invesment plus appreciation to the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.... 25 years is a long time... you polish off your crystal ball... what about the impact on the US economy of Antigua applying sanctions on the US based on WTO action that totally decimates our entertainment industry by allowing you to buy US CDs/DVDs for pennies on the dollar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2006, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.... 25 years is a long time... you polish off your crystal ball... what about the impact on the US economy of Antigua applying sanctions on the US based on WTO action that totally decimates our entertainment industry by allowing you to buy US CDs/DVDs for pennies on the dollar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to bet that even in that eventuality, the S&P 500 will outperform gold and silver over the next 25 years.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 PM

Two words: Paper Trail.

If they took bets or wagers and took deposits for illegal play from US players, then they would have been in violation as of Oct 13. The Regs do not protect them, IF their taking a deposit from a US player after October 13 was covered.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:27 PM

From a UK perspective

It would seem the UK is pretty inactive at the moment.

Absolute Poker is still being allowed to advertise on our main commercial TV broadcaster whilst Poker Stars are being allowed to run as normal. I don't know if this will change after the 270 day expiry. Party's compliance with the regs has seen their shareprice drop to less than 30 p, one fifth of its value six months ago. I wonder if there will be future pressure on Manx based Stars from the UK govt who want to 'clean up' the internet sector?