Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: is the Wii controller a novelty?

I agree with a lot of the sentiments in this thread. Yes it's an improvement in a lot of areas and no it's not quite revolutionary, yet. I think that depends how much developers can leverage the wiimote's potential, and what that potential actually is.

As far as Zelda is concerned, I doubt they wanted to make a large change to the gameplay. OoT was one of the best games ever, and the franchise is one of the most prolific and succesful. I don't think they wanted to alienate gamers who play for predominant strategy portion of this game. It's pretty clear that Zelda, although somewhat of an action game, is not highly dependant on a player's physical skill and coordination.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:35 PM

I agree with almost everything being said. Its good, but at the moment it is more potential than actualization. I think, though, that this system more than any other has a chance to create one game that will just blow everyone out of the water. I can't imagine a PS3 or Xbox 360 game doing anymore than just improving on already established things. With the Wii, however, somebody might just create a game that everyone and their mother will want to play. I don't know if it will happen, but I have high hopes that some developer will just pour a ton of effort into one game and make it all of the motions perfect.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 PM

I think something like a fighting game, where each guy has a shield and a sword (or other weapons like that) could be completely awesome - BUT it would need to be free form, or nearly close to it. IE you get to choose from like 10 moves you can do with your "sword" hand and a bunch of blocking/fighting maneuvers you can do with your "shield" hand, as well as some combo moves.

anyone have any idea if this is feasible? I know the "high rise" TV spot shows something like this, but I don't know how free form it really is.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:33 PM

I know I disabled the rumble function because it was driving me nuts. Like just typing on the keyboard it would rumble when it was highlighted on a different key. That got old real quick.

These are valid points. A lot of these games were made with Nintendo, and it will be hard for 3rd party support to follow the steps since it is a way different level of gaming.

This hardware is so new, it is hard for developers to create games since mostly all games are designed by control with a basic joystick.

We will get a better idea where this system is a year from now.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 AM

most of the current games were not made by Nintendo

UbiSoft made 7 of them and has 7 more by march...the ones out so far include Rayman (awesome) and Red Steel

EA did the madden 07 controls very well also

Sega did super monkey ball, which has good controls

But yeah, the key to a game is for the developer to spend time making sure they do a good job with the controls and not just port the game over with very little time spent on controls; EA got this right by dedicating a studio and many months solely to the wii controls and people say they work great

hopefully more developers will focus on controls and gameplay when making wii games and we'll have some kickass games in the future
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 PM

The wii controllers for Zelda are awesome, imo. I think this is the first Zelda game where you can use your sword while running. Also you can generally attack everything with z-target+a if you don't wanna use the remote, but I'm still finding that slightly flicking your wrist to use the sword is a great control. Like if your lantern is out you can just flick your wrist and Link draws his sword and puts his lantern on his belt, so easy.