Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Default Re: NFL enlists Christian right to fight Barney Frank

In the past week I responded to an e-mail from MLB "Come Back to MLB.TV: Special One-Time Offer" voicing my displeasure and told them why I canceled in the first place (their letter to Congress against all gambling including poker).

I think we can do the same in other type offers that deal with the major sports leagues.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Very good plan, I signed up for the NFL stuff and will cancell as well.

obg
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Engineer wrote a good one and here is mine, copy any / all of it you like.

http://www.nfl.com/help/emailtech

Commissioner Roger Goodell
National Football League
280 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10017

Sir,

I must say I am quit disappointed in your alliance with Focus on the Family and your opposition to the Barney Frank’s proposed Internet Gambling Legislation.

I can and do appreciate your position concerning Football and your right to oppose sports betting.
I appreciate your right to forbid NFL players from betting or engaging in betting.

I do NOT appreciate this position however when you openly support fantasy football, allowing we fans to draft our own team to ‘GAMBLE’ on to win prizes.

I do NOT appreciate your opposition to my being allowed to play cards on the Internet. It is not your nor anyone else’s place to determine what I do in my spare time.

Let me make a simple analogy for you between a football season and a poker tournament.

Your players and teams play the regular season hoping for the brass ring of the playoffs where they earn ‘extra’ money above and beyond the enormous salaries they are paid with the hope in the end to be crowned champion and get the gold ring.

A poker tournament is much the same; our ‘season’ is played to reach the money by beating out others to make the playoffs. Our ‘playoffs’ begin when enough players are eliminated and the bonus money level is reached. Each level of the ‘money / playoffs’ we advance to we earn more. In the end a champion is crowned and rather than the ‘brass’ ring we get the gold, we are champion in much the same way as a ‘Super Bowl’ champion is crowned.

In closing as a fan I would appreciate you making a distinction between your anti-sports betting stance and my playing cards.

A WV Fan,

XXXXXXXX
Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 PM

August 13, 2007

Mr. August A. Busch IV
President and Chief Executive Officer
Anheuser-Busch Companies, Inc.
One Busch Place
St. Louis, MO 63118

Dear Mr. Busch:

I am writing to express my anger and disappointment at the National Football League’s very vocal advocacy of a ban on all Internet gaming (even non-sports betting such as poker). I fail to understand why their concerns over the honesty of their million-dollar players constitutes an “integrity issue” severe enough to necessitate restricting MY freedoms. Seems they should have enough resources to maintain their integrity without infringing on my liberty. It seems they forget that it’s the fans who make the league possible.

As a result of their work against my liberty, I’ll definitely watch less NFL football from now on. I’ll also be less likely to patronize sponsors who remain silent in the face of this affront to liberty. Will Anheuser-Busch support freedom, or will you support Prohibition 2.0?

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

TheEngineer
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 PM

Anheuser-Busch email: http://contactus.anheuser-busch.com/contactus/email.asp
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 PM

I like the idea of throwing in, I bought NFL Season TIcket last year, your recent [censored] actions have made me cancel my buy this year. Those profits go straight to them.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 PM

I added this alert to 2 league forums I am with and sent to 2 poker radio shows as well. Maybe we can get some extra coverage there.

Doubtful we can change the NFL's mind but if they get a few hundred letters over the next few days at least they will hear from some fans.

obg
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 PM

August 13, 2007

Mr. G. Richard Wagoner Jr.
Chairman of the Board of Directors
General Motors Corporation
300 Renaissance Center
Detroit, Michigan 48265

Dear Mr. Wagoner:

I am writing to share with you my anger and disappointment at the National Football League’s very vocal advocacy of a ban on all Internet gaming (even non-sports betting such as poker). I fail to understand why their concerns over the honesty of their million-dollar players constitutes an “integrity issue” severe enough to necessitate restricting MY freedoms. Seems they should have enough resources to maintain their integrity without infringing on my liberty. It seems they forget that it’s the fans who make the league possible.

As a result of their work against my liberty, I’ll definitely watch less NFL football from now on. I’ll also be less likely to patronize sponsors who remain silent in the face of this affront to liberty. I did purchase a new Corvette Z06 three years ago from *** ***** Chevrolet in ****, Kentucky [courtesy of the fish [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]], and I am in the market for a new car now. As such, I ask where GM stands on this. Will General Motors support freedom, or will you support Prohibition 2.0?

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,

TheEngineer
Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I added this alert to 2 league forums I am with and sent to 2 poker radio shows as well. Maybe we can get some extra coverage there.

Doubtful we can change the NFL's mind but if they get a few hundred letters over the next few days at least they will hear from some fans.

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree we can't change their minds, but I think we're wise to not give our opponents "free cards" so to speak.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 PM

I will give these guys a phone call tomorrow as a shareholder and I also consume a lot of their products.

PepsiCo, Inc.

700 Anderson Hill Road
Purchase, NY 10577
(914) 253-2000