Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: How can I be so bad?

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of ideas of things we could do to work on these areas:
<ul type="square"> [*]3. Let's post a series of "tough decision" hands -- things like HU donkers that you mention. At the end of this series, we should each write some general takeaways that we got from going through the exercise ("Call down if the donker is an aggro," or whatever).
[/list]
[/ QUOTE ]

If you do this, please please try to include reads. Not just "Villain is hyper-aggro," but "Villain check-raised the flop with air in a BB defense and got caught after betting all streets." Part of what makes these situations tough is that there's no "one size fits all" approach. The goal of HU confrontations is to take advantage of tendencies (bluffs too much, calls down too much, doesn't bluff enough, folds too much...)
Old 08-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Great idea. Would be even more interesting if several players video recorded the session with audio commentary. That way you could see the same hand played out from several different perspectives.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just get very excited and make extremely lame call downs and stupid bluffs, not thinking more than a split second before I act. I'm trying to slow down holding my hand away from the mouse, but ooops I'm CR and insta-call again. It's silly.

The stakes are so low, so the money shouldn't matter much. A really bad downsing is like buying a book or a couple of pizzas.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're going through a pretty bad version of some of what I am--you seem to be doubting the importance of all of this, and yet you *do* think it's important, or else you wouldn't be posting this.

It sounds like you get bored and want to be in a lot of action. I can relate--I started playing thinking of myself as a tight, patient, disciplined player. That's because I was comparing myself to idiot-maniacs on pokerstars 10/20 play money games. When I started reading these forums and getting some other indicators, I realized the serious players are very tight and very disciplined. I saw that you should be voluntarily putting money into the pot about 15-20% of the time--this means, essentially, folding A-8o in many circumstances, K-10 from early position if it's a tight table, and generally sitting around most of the time (trying to study the other players when you're not in hands). I find that I feel like a Buddhist monk, practicing waiting, clear thinking,maintaining a level head enough to muck pretty good hands or to muck an A-J preflop against a raise. It's rewarding as long as I'm winning and not getting bad beats and getting dealt reasonable cards, but honestly seems like a bit of a waste of time when I muck 28 times in a row preflop and the first time I flop so much as middle pair, the board is suited. It's hard for me to admit I'm not disciplined and need excitement, since I've spent half my life reading literature, which so few people in society have the time and patience for. But I'm thinking it's going to be hard for me to ever be a great poker player--instead I'll use what I've learned in my fiction.
Sorry to make this about me, but I guess I'm trying to say that you may be into the game for the thrill of bluffs, etc. and not interested in grinding out slowly since it's all just one pizza, etc. And you may have to decide what you want out of the game. Best,
J
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Allways interesting to read others thoughts of the game. It's a tough to play poker. If u get bored a lot to, maybe you can play six max or something. I have also herad that games like omaha eight or better, are more action games than holdem. Check it out.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a couple of ideas of things we could do to work on these areas:
<ul type="square"> [*] 1. Set up some priavte nano games with 2-10 of us where we discuss every hand. If possible, it would be very value-added to have a Wookie or Aussie type sweat (or participate) and provide feedback.
[*]2. Session reviews amongst ourselves or with the experts. I think we are frequently paired with the noobs, which we should continue to do, but it is valuable to get more advanced feedback as well.
[*]3. Let's post a series of "tough decision" hands -- things like HU donkers that you mention. At the end of this series, we should each write some general takeaways that we got from going through the exercise ("Call down if the donker is an aggro," or whatever).
[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love all these ideas. I haven't participated in any session review, but I'll try to join next time. About nr 1, that would be great. If someone respectable would help out here I wouldn't mind at all paying a few $$$. If we are like 9 noobs paying $4 each/h (reasonable? I think 7k like the big coaches take is a little bit too much for me), that would mean good money for the coach.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hit a bad run yesterday losing 70bb. Of course I was pretty ul, but I also think I played horribly. I don't get how I can be so bad after doing this for more than a year. I just get very excited and make extremely lame call downs and stupid bluffs, not thinking more than a split second before I act. I'm trying to slow down holding my hand away from the mouse, but ooops I'm CR and insta-call again. It's silly.

The stakes are so low, so the money shouldn't matter much. A really bad downsing is like buying a book or a couple of pizzas. It's sick! How can I call down K4 on a K57Q board after a calling station waited to the turn to raise me? I have no idea why I did it when the cards are turned over. Don't remeber thinking anything.

Also, I still feel lost in many basic spots. HU, someone donks and I have no idea. Tnx to all of u guys who tries ur best to help me. Just feel [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], right now.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't participated in any session review, but I'll try to join next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Participate in session reviews. Without someone critically appraising your play how will you ever progress? I pitty the forumites who get paired with me but the more you do the better you get. fact. sign up for early september review. hell, maybe a 1000+ forumite/experienced session reviewer could do one for you this week.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM

It's been said but talking yourself through the hand is the best thing ever. "What are my options, which option am i going to choose, and why am i going to choose it/why is it better than the other options"

/Riku
Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 PM

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch, that sucks so much. Hope u run well again soon m8!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 PM

Hey, I have something for you that might cheer you up: Link [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And as for your downswing: Last week I lost 90BB in 1500 hands. Yesterday I already went up by 29BB in 350 hands. Swings are cool. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The first time it happens it feels bad. Yes, you read about it, see graphs, prepare for it on the intellectual level, but on the emotional level it's still hard to accept it. There's no other way than simply going through the tough situation and when you finally get over it, you get stronger. The next time it happens you already accept it as a part of the game. It also helps (at least for me) if I look at my hand history graph. It's suddenly obvious, that this is nothing new and has happend before. The downswing I mentioned at the beginning of the post was already my 3rd swing this large in the last 20k hands. And with a hand history long enough all these huge swings look much smaller on the bigger scale.

So cool off, calm down, then start playing again your best game and sooner or later the sky will be brighter. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!