Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM

Location: I wish life wasn\'t about money then I could afford a house, a car and life insurance.
Default Re: WPT Battles Travel Channel! Who Will Win?

[ QUOTE ]
wpt things-to-do:
1) leave wpt
2) get a deal on espn or possibly espn2
3) ????
4) profit

it could be the second coming of the poker boom!

[/ QUOTE ]
What the [censored] are you talking about?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wpt things-to-do:
1) leave wpt
2) get a deal on espn or possibly espn2
3) ????
4) profit

it could be the second coming of the poker boom!

[/ QUOTE ]
What the [censored] are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just the underpants gnomes business paradigm.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM

WPT would probably be a lot more watchable if it was produced like USPC, with all days being covered, and no stupid final table structure. Right now it just doesn't cut it, the show has no atmosphere and no build-up.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Maybe they will realize that nobody except them likes the fact that the final table is <20 BBs deep for everyone the entire way.

Players hate it. Viewers are learning to hate it as they are starting to understand poker a little more and want to see more nuances.

But hey, it saves them a couple thousand dollars!

edit: Also I just don't understand how they can save much money or that the money they save is actually worth it. ESPN hired rivrmedia to film the USPC for 6 straight days!!!! Rivrmedia also traveled around to several players houses to do back stories. And you're telling me the WPT can't afford to stretch the final table to 8+ hours of filming?

Puleeeeeeeez. Basically, I hate evil corporations and lies.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WPT would probably be a lot more watchable if it was produced like USPC, with all days being covered, and no stupid final table structure. Right now it just doesn't cut it, the show has no atmosphere and no build-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that what the PPT coverage was supposed to be, and we saw how that turned out.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that what the PPT coverage was supposed to be, and we saw how that turned out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Back when it was a fresh new show the WPT format was exiting to watch. Huge amounts of money at stake for relatively little buy in. Most FT's had a couple of pros that were well known from the WSOP.

Starting around season 3 or 4 thing started going downhill. The FT's seemed to become all in fests with little to no play allowed due to the blind structure. Quite a few shows were filled with tables that had no personalities.

One more thing is that VVP is a polarizing announcer. He's one of those guys you either like or dislike. His "schtik" hasn't varies since day 1 and for some people it it annoying and when there is an abundance of TV poker shows they can sinply decide to tune this one out.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the producers of Poker After Dark are paying attention - the running commentary on HSP really adds to the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the players' conversations are much more interesting.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One more thing is that VVP is a polarizing announcer.

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't that imply that there are people out there that are into him? i don't know these people.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they will realize that nobody except them likes the fact that the final table is <20 BBs deep for everyone the entire way.

Players hate it. Viewers are learning to hate it as they are starting to understand poker a little more and want to see more nuances.

But hey, it saves them a couple thousand dollars!

edit: Also I just don't understand how they can save much money or that the money they save is actually worth it. ESPN hired rivrmedia to film the USPC for 6 straight days!!!! Rivrmedia also traveled around to several players houses to do back stories. And you're telling me the WPT can't afford to stretch the final table to 8+ hours of filming?

Puleeeeeeeez. Basically, I hate evil corporations and lies.

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Lots more money than "a couple thousand dollars" at stake.

B) I don't think you'll be seeing the USPC on ESPN any longer. Pretty sure that was a monetary decision

With that said, the WPT final table structure is a joke, and everyone knows that. Of course, everyone still plays in their events. What does that say?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PPT tanked due to bad announcing, bad production, and absolutely HORRIBLE table selection. Not because it was a bad idea.

With regards to the WPT, as other's have already stated viewers are becoming more knowledgable about the game and finding allin fests less interesting. But the big problem IMO is the lack of personalities and known pros at the tables. The whole concept of "watch some amatuer get lucky and turn $40 into 1.5 million" is becoming less interesting and watchable. People want to see pro's play like pros.