Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Ask me about the Video Game Industry

[ QUOTE ]
How can a game concept like "Manhunt" make it through all the instances a game has to go through before it is released onto the market. Ok, there are awfull underground games and stuff. But this game is a Rockstar Games XBoX-title.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the disturbing things in the industry is how many unbelievably bad games get made all the time. "Manhunt" is solid gold compared to most of the garbage put out. Generally the people in charge of funding decisions are complete morons who don't play games at all and are old and out of touch.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:23 PM

do you know cliffyB?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you get into the industry?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was an accomplished programmer with experience before I got into the industry so it was pretty easy.

[ QUOTE ]

Are there any entry level jobs with no experience required?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tester is one way to go. In the old days people used to get in as an office admin or a "junior producer" and gradually contribute more to production and move over, but that's harder to do now.

If you want to be a designer or artist, there are 6-month schools to get some sort of certificate and training. They're okay.

The other option is if you know how to make mods for unreal or half-life or whatever, if you make a really amazing mod you will get hired for sure. Valve & Epic do this all the time.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM

do you get bonuses based on the success of video games?

have you ever included anything like a friend's name into a game, or put your picture into a game somewhere weird? if so, what are some examples that you have done.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM

what kind of programming do you do?

gameplay? engine design? tools development?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Do game companies consider feedback from gamers at any point? I'm thinking more on a series (yearly sports games, sequels, etc) this could be the case, if it happens. What's the best way to give feedback to the game makers, or do they just not care and rather rely totally on testers?

Which company did you like working for the best? When working on a crappy game, does everyone know it (assuming you've been involved with at least one bad game)?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM

what company do you work for?

what platform was yoru favorite to work on? easiest to work on?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Was your first job in the video game industry? If no, what work did you do before?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I got out of college I did technical programming for people like Hewlett Packard and Data General. Super boring stuff, so games was way more fun.

[ QUOTE ]

What parts of development did you work on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started as a technology programmer, then an "engine programmer", then became a lead "engine" programmer, then became a "lead programmer" which supervises and does all kinds of different coding and then a "tech director" which does very little coding and just manages. You can get promoted very fast in games if you're good, everything's based on performance not seniority, etc.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

do you know cliffyB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I met him a few times. I'd always heard he was a pompous ass so I was prejudiced and yeah, he came across that way. At the time he was wearing a leather trench coat and had a hot chick on his arm. I hear he's melowed out a bit now.

[ QUOTE ]

do you get bonuses based on the success of video games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, this is how people get rich in the industry. All the senior people who worked on Diablo 2 got around $300k each. At bigger companies you generally get less of a bonus. At very small companies you might even get stock options.

[ QUOTE ]

have you ever included anything like a friend's name into a game, or put your picture into a game somewhere weird? if so, what are some examples that you have done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never did this (this is an artist thing, and yes it's very common). One funny one our artists did was in one game there was this puke and the puke particles were actually the faces of all the artists; you'd have to zoom way in to see it.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what company do you work for?

what platform was yoru favorite to work on? easiest to work on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked for a bunch of different small developers in Austin & Seattle.

Making PC games is easiest cuz you work on a PC. The Xbox dev tools were super nice (as were Xbox360). Microsoft is totally trying to help devs. Sony tools are awful and most developers hate them, Sony makes no effort to help developers (except 1st party).