Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: dear lebron james,

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He is a Bulls, Yankees, and a Cowboys fan and grew up in the 90's. How is he not a Front-runner.

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst part is that the Indians went to 2 WS in the 90s and had some great teams. How the [censored] can you not be a tribe fan in the area? A pass on the Browns during that time frame at his age is acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.

lebron grew up just a short drive from cleveland. it's the ultimate kick in the teeth to long suffering cleveland fans.

to me it's positively sickening. brainless move. it's one thing to root for them but keep it quiet and don't wear the darn hat.

what really stings is that it's the yankees. it'd be different if it was like the rangers or mariners for some random reason
Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
meh he grew up a big yankees fan. there's nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from someone with 4 favorite teams in each sport...

[/ QUOTE ]

so what? is that a crime?
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
meh he grew up a big yankees fan. there's nothing wrong with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coming from someone with 4 favorite teams in each sport...

[/ QUOTE ]

so what? is that a crime?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Neither is frontrunning. Neither is publicly rooting against a team from the city that you happen to be the face of.

Most sports fans find all of the above objectionable though.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM

Most sports fans are [censored] morons.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM

Brady says hi.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:51 AM

I grew up in suburban Cleveland and have rooted for all the teams my whole life. Probably because there's nothing else to do, it seems like everyone in Cleveland is a die-hard fan. I have no doubt that if any adult in Cleveland saw Art Modell walking in a crosswalk, he/she would step on the gas and try to run him over, and if successful, would never be convicted of anything.

The Cavs making the NBA finals was one of the highlights of my life. I can't even describe how unbelievably pissed off I was seeing Lebron wearing a Yankees hat. I can't even think of an appropriate analogy -- Larry Bird wearing a Mets hat to Fenway during the 1986 World Series is the closest I can come up with, but even that is not nearly as bad, since Larry did not grow up an hour away from Boston, as Lebron grew up an hour away from Cleveland. What a complete scumbag. I mean, even if for some reason he is a Yankees fan, at least have the courtesy to the hundreds of thousands of local fans who worship him to keep it to himself, not rub it in their faces, and for crying out loud don't give an interview about it on national TV.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:00 AM

Front runners, band wagoners and anyone else who constantly changes their "favorite" teams don't really bother me that much. They are only robbing themselves of the greater emotional payoff of sticking with a team for the long haul.

I understand Kyelbs point about not wanting to put up with bad management, but I view it more like a family member who is a [censored] up. You don't give up on them and hopefully they'll turn it around.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 AM

i could never root for anyone other than cleveland, dunno how people just pick random teams, seems weird to me i dunno, maybe im just lucky that i have 3 pro teams in my home town
Old 10-05-2007, 02:18 PM

People who like the Yankees who aren't physically located in NY are evil incarnate.

Lebron's frontrunning sickens and disgusts me. I can see taking a pass on the Browns, the Modell thing happened in his formative years.

I also have a ton of teams I like/hate, and my reason for liking/disliking a given team can be incredibly superficial. I don't even know why I like the Padres, but they are my adopted NL team. I have like 4 or 5 teams per sport(except for college football, where I have a complicated conference-based rooting interest system).

But there, above all, I root for the teams closest to where I was born. Cavs, Browns, Tribe. The end. I [censored] hate the Browns, but come Sunday I root for them to win.

You can't be born in the Gaza Strip and decide that you'd rather root for the IDF. <- racism ban?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't be born in the Gaza Strip and decide that you'd rather root for the IDF. <- racism ban?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is pretty relevant to choosing which sports teams you root for.