Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Optimal ante/bring in structure for various game sizes

[ QUOTE ]
Cindy Violette (very good stud player) told me the other day she thought the $50 ante/ $50 bringin at 150/300 "wasn't that bad, at 200/400 it would be perfect". High ante is the way to go I think, it won't bust people too quickly there is plenty of luck in stud.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 1/3 SB for ante and bring-in is perfect for inducing action in all stud formats. The only pre-internet Razz games with any action had this structure. It makes the nits play, and there is nothing that can be done to prevent the bad players from going broke.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cindy Violette (very good stud player) told me the other day she thought the $50 ante/ $50 bringin at 150/300 "wasn't that bad, at 200/400 it would be perfect". High ante is the way to go I think, it won't bust people too quickly there is plenty of luck in stud.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you loved the game, but I think $50 ante is a bit high for that format. I'd rather see $25 Ante, $50 force, $150 completion.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

TT your structure here is about the best. Really all that matters is the ratio of the ante/bring-in to the SB size to determine how much action you get. Antes should be somewhere between 1/8 and 1/6 of the SB. Lower antes kill the action as everyone will wait for premium hands, and bigger antes force you to gamble plus make it almost impossible to fold once you're in a hand unless you're caught in the middle or something. Bring-ins should be 1/4 to 1/3 of the SB so they are not so small as to be negligible, but also not so large as to be an (almost) automatic call to just a completed bet.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 PM

problem with tight structures in mixed games is that *some* people just fold away the stud hi round because they dont really know how or like to play it. (Which is stupid)

however if you have a 10/20 mixed game where the forced money is =$15

then 8+5 is just about right. 13/15 or .8667 isnt really that tight of a structure. quite a few hands can limp in getting 2.3:1 or better and open HC raises are effective in isolating weak brings. However over all it can become pretty much a limp fest with loose passives behind the bring.