Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: 99 flopped set

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river. I cant imagine him having a str8 and checking the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's playin on what level lol. i would not put it past someone on this level checking the straight on the river knowing our hero has bet every street looking to reraise the river. granted its not a smart play for the villian but, i wouldn't put it past him. i also would disagree with traed about a worse hand not calling. on this level ive noticed that alot of people play Ax like the nuts so he definetly could call with that. i realize that i contradicted myself here but i figured i would cover both ends of the spectrum. IMo i would just check lol
Old 06-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: 99 flopped set

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river. I cant imagine him having a str8 and checking the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you dont need to bet the river because no worse hand will call.
I dont believe Villian is calling with Ax here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a $5 and this guy just called two big bets. Take some more of chips. He is not folding Ax if you bet another 300.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion determining the correct amount to bet should help you decide to simply check.

By that I mean,if you bet a small amount in hopes of getting called by a worse hand, your upside is the small amount that you bet but the downside is that he does have the straight and he check raises all-in. Then you are in a horrible position.

If you bet a large amount and thus have a large upside by being called by a worse hand, it becomes increasingly likely that you are only called by better hands. Thus your downside is both much larger and more likely.

In my mind, this is a perfect example of when you need to check on the river. IMHO.