Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Calling Stattions\'s table unbeatable

Well, if you can't beat lower stakes games and can't beat higher stakes games, maybe you are not a strong enough player to win at stud.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:18 AM

imagine you're a winning player in NLH HU cash game $100, you play against a guy who go all-in EVERYTIME, you call 3 times, you lose, does it mean that you're not strongh enough to win at NLH HU $100 ? It mean that you have played againt a worst player than you who play rubbish, and who is lucky, me I played in a table wher every players call the raise and re-raise, no matter what thay had, they call until the 6th ou 7th just to catch one card and hit a straight or a running flush, that's all
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
imagine you're a winning player in NLH HU cash game $100, you play against a guy who go all-in EVERYTIME, you call 3 times, you lose, does it mean that you're not strongh enough to win at NLH HU $100 ? It mean that you have played againt a worst player than you who play rubbish, and who is lucky, me I played in a table wher every players call the raise and re-raise, no matter what thay had, they call until the 6th ou 7th just to catch one card and hit a straight or a running flush, that's all

[/ QUOTE ]
If you lose against this player in the long run, then you are the bigger fish.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 PM

but I lost against these players on the very short run...1 session !
Old 05-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Implicit collusion. Stud8key, if you want elaboration with examples, go ahead and PM me.

In short, everyone calling down takes away your ev and disperses amongst themselves. They aren't aware, but its a phenomenon that happens.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Calling stations are the most profitable players you can play against. I would submit that you're probably not very good at poker. Get 7CS4AP.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:44 AM

These games are very +EV but are also high variance because of their drawout nature and their extra betting round you will lose lots of big pots. Lose half a dozen or so in a row, which is not hard at all to do, and you're stuck a good chunk. There are posts all over 2+2 about variance, refer to them for more info.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Implicit collusion. Stud8key, if you want elaboration with examples, go ahead and PM me.

In short, everyone calling down takes away your ev and disperses amongst themselves. They aren't aware, but its a phenomenon that happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I know where the OP's coming from here. I tried the 0.5/1 game at Poker Room and the standard of play there was like being in a freeroll - literally 5-6 players seeing down every card to the river no matter how many bets you put in.

The only real winner was the rake, because all that was going on was Phankekim's "implicit collusion phenomenon". No matter how good your starting hand selection, your actual advantage was tiny because of so many people staying so far into each hand.

I understand that if you stuck around for long enough and with a large enough bankroll you could beat this game, but the complete lack of skill and countless lunatic plays just took the fun and intellectual stimulation out of it (which is 90% of the reason why I play).

OP - as you've already been told, the standard of play at Stars is much better. If you actually want to have some fun whilst learning stud, I recommend you try there instead.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:12 PM

This is true Andy B.

But I have to emphasize a little bit with this guy. I will say that if you can't muster up enough cash to play in a 2/4 game then he may need to just save up some money.

I just cashed out most of my online accounts so I would be forced to play at lower limits. I left about 10% of my bankroll in.

I did this because the highest game in my area is 5/10. Oh god...

I used to like playing at low limits but I have found that I get really annoyed with them now. I haven't got as high as Jeffage but I was winning at 30/60 anyway.

My point is that I am frequently annoyed now. Here is a line from my last live game playing Hold 'Em after a player called ever big raise down to the river...

"Man, I was hoping to catch that bottom pair!"

He won. This next one is from a Seven-Stud game the other weekend. Two players called down the entire hand. The pot was 90$ (Small money to me but huge for these guys.), they both completed small pairs on the river.

Now, you may see some crazy stuff like that at higher limits but it is because both players deduce that their villians are bluffing. These guys were just chasing NOTHING.

Can I beat these players? Of course. Yet it is incredibly boring. At another game I played three hands in an hour and a half. I wait until I get the nuts and raise the crap out of them. This one was actually for a little bit of money so I wasn't to unhappy. They are so bad that even after watching me fold everything, they will STILL call. Even if they know I have the nusts, they will STILL call!

If you look at my posts you know I HATE it when people complain about the bad players. I am not complaining about their bad play but at these [censored] little stakes, it almost isn't worth it to take their money out of the sheer frustration of having to sit through these games!

BTW, my French Friend (Not Andy B.), that last story may help you win at those micro-stakes. Also search some of my posts, this has been discussed before when I played smaller limits. It is a friggin' grind. You can't lose in the long run but man... grinding it out at .25/.50 for 5 bucks seems way to painful to me, LOL!

Sorry Andy B. I guess I am having trouble returning to my roots, LOL!

Also, if you have read this far, when is the next 2+2 online Tourney? Let's get a HORSE one going!

Another drunk post by the Lion, LOL!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:27 AM

Most likely the OP is betting with big pairs two much and not folding one pair and two pair hands soon enough. He may also be playing too tight on third street.