Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Re: AFI\'s top 100.........

Pryor,

do you think there's any films in the current decade that will be regarded as true classics?

I have had just 4 (well 2 really) in mind. I did think for a few years after seeing it Gladiator would hold up as a classic, as it's electric whenever Crowe or Pheonix are doing there stuff, but I rewatched a while ago, and the muddle middle/late section made me reassess that Gladiator really doesn't cut it as a classic. I think you'll laugh at this selection.

I also think you'll laugh at the next selection, but I think I'm absoutely right here: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. These are terrific, exciting, coherent and eminently watchable bits of cinema, and frankly I can't regard it as anything other than 1 long, terrific movie.

That's my tuppence. What's your thoughts on the last 6 years of movies?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:34 PM

i think LOTR, seen as a whole, will hold up in a Ben Hur sort of way, a beloved classic that's more popular than it is seriously respected, if that makes sense.

i was shocked Gladiator was even nominated for Best Picture, which should give you an idea what i thought of it.

here's some others i think have a pretty good chance of holding up:

The Best of Youth
United 93
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Before Sunset
Talk to Her
In the Bedroom
Memento

and these i think for more popular opinion reasons:

The Royal Tennenbaums
Moulin Rouge!
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Amelie

the problem is, will they get enough traction to get in the discussion?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think LOTR, seen as a whole, will hold up in a Ben Hur sort of way, a beloved classic that's more popular than it is seriously respected, if that makes sense.

i was shocked Gladiator was even nominated for Best Picture, which should give you an idea what i thought of it.

The Best of Youth
United 93
Before Sunset
Talk to Her
In the Bedroom
Memento

The Royal Tennenbaums
Moulin Rouge!
Amelie

[/ QUOTE ]

nice list...I might add Lost in Translation, LOTR, and Brokeback Mountain.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM

i almost added those, until i thought, "damn, i've got too many." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2006, 02:30 PM

In additon to Lost in Translation, I'd add City of God. Also, and you may laugh at this one, but I think Serenity has a serious shot at being considered an all time sci-fi classic.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and you may laugh at this one, but I think Serenity has a serious shot at being considered an all time sci-fi classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i'll definitely laugh

the trailer for Serenity was so awful i turned to the people i was with and said "do they actually think someone will watch this dreck?"

i never do that. as you might guess, i haven't seen the movie.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you may laugh at this one, but I think Serenity has a serious shot at being considered an all time sci-fi classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

the trailer for Serenity was so awful i turned to the people i was with and said "do they actually think someone will watch this dreck?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I've actually never even seen the trailer, but the movie kicks ass, even more so after watching the Firefly series. Joss Whedon is a gifted writer and director. I recently re-watched it with his commentary, which is quite interesting, and my appreciation for the movie went way up.

I believe it didn't do so hot at the box office (maybe due to the poor trailer?), but has been rather well received critically (on par with some of the others listed). And the cult following continues to grow.

edit: Also, keep in mind there are VERY few exceptionally good sci-fi movies this decade. Serenity will definitely stand out as one of the best of this genre IMO.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Best of Youth
United 93
Before Sunset
Talk to Her
In the Bedroom
Memento

The Royal Tennenbaums
Moulin Rouge!
Amelie

[/ QUOTE ]

nice list...I might add Lost in Translation, LOTR, and Brokeback Mountain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Lost in Translation. Each time I've watched it since the first viewing, it hasn't grown on me the way i thought it would when I first saw it. I really do think though one that may end up standing the test of time is nobody knows. I was completely blown away when I saw it, and have watched it again recently, and it has held up upon a second viewing. Now, I'm gonna have to watch it again in a year or two to see if my thoughts are still the same. Once you get past some of the shock value of it, you still realize that there is still a ton to the story
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The trailer for the movie seems like it was made by a Star Trek fanboy hell-bent on destroying the marketing push. Even seeing the series, i saw the trailer and thought "if i didn't already know better, i'd say this movie will be horrible".

The series is significantly better than the movie, but the trailer is absolutly no indication of the movies quality. It actually is a very well done movie, certainly not 'great' though.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe it didn't do so hot at the box office (maybe due to the poor trailer?), but has been rather well received critically (on par with some of the others listed).

[/ QUOTE ]

it made $25M domestically, against a budget of 40

but is it really on par, critically, with the rest of them?

metacritic scores:
Serenity: 74
Best of Youth: 89
Before Sunset: 90
United 93: 89
Eternal Sunshine: 89
LOTR: 94, 88, 92
Talk to Her: 86
In the Bedroom: 86
Lost in Translation: 89
Brokeback Mountain: 87

...doesn't look like it to me. it's near Amelie's number, but i think that's more beloved than it is considered "great"

i think you're right when you mention the cult classic. that's probably where it'll end up. just like Office Space--a film people love but isn't exactly taken seriously. btw, Office Space had a 68