Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Interesting Robert Wexler Interview

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in the first few sentences out of his mouth. "I voted against it as did most Democrats"

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE !!

Also a minor complaint. why does the interviewer look like a total slob and UMMMM ERR UMMM through the whole damn thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the Safe Port Act. Of course he voted for that. He's probably referring to the Internet Gambling bill that was sent through Congress earlier last year as standalone legislation. I can't remember the bill number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well .. in that case he merely abstained.

Votes on HR4411

seriously I like what hes trying to do but WTF? Just tell the truth !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

???? He spoke out against the bill. Not many people did. I think we should be happy. Then, he introduced a bill tailor-made for us, despite it having about zero interest to his constituents (who average around 80).

As for the vote, maybe he was sick that day. Who knows. It wasn't like he was the tie-breaker.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:31 PM

A note: A quick look at the votes on the amendments (Berkley said ban all or none) there was a vote of no by a majority, prefering the limited ban.

So, there is hope since there seems to be a majority who wish to allow some internet gaming, now, to get them to agree to at least adding poker.

obg
Old 07-11-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then, he introduced a bill tailor-made for us, despite it having about zero interest to his constituents (who average around 80).

[/ QUOTE ]

He mentioned during Congressional testimor that senior citizens were outraged that they were not able to play mah-jong, which in my limited knowledge has some of the same characteristics as poker (some skill, some luck).

Also great interview by Wexler, he is pretty good.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He mentioned during Congressional testimor that senior citizens were outraged that they were not able to play mah-jong, which in my limited knowledge has some of the same characteristics as poker (some skill, some luck).

Also great interview by Wexler, he is pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live in that district. His constituents are easily outraged. Works for us. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 AM

The SGPA picked up two more cosponsors this week, Rep. Shelley Berkley, [D-NV] and Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL], for a total of three.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Interesting D\'Amato Interview

He can talk okay, about "the internet as the future for all sorts of activities, why everything except poker ?"

He also addresses the "less-intrusive" means available to protect against underage players.

Curiously, he never addresses taxation, despite discussing the pending bills. The "best way" is to do the Berkley Study, act on "facts", .... but he is WAY against "offshore operators", and the Frank Bill is a very good bill.

Somehow, he segues from, the Frank Bill, (a protectionist bill if there ever was one), is good to the WTO issues .....

The Wexler, game of skill bill, is given short shrift.

Asked directly about the taxation angle, DAmato thinks it is a personal freedom issue and dodged the tax issue side.

The real pitch he makes is to Join the PPA. (I liked the BS about how 600,000 members is 2,000 in each Congressional District.)

Bottom line, DAmato is selling software as the solution to the perceived evil, ..... and using the boogeyman of the WTO to say the cost of the UIGE is too high.

He really likes to say "In the fullness of time" a lot.

He can see the day when you can see 10s of thousands playing online worldwide, 60,000 .... Imagine that .... Wait, how many played online in the WCOOP or in the Party Millions ????

He thinks Frank's Bill will move forward this fall, because of his Committee status.

Good job pokernews.