View Poll Results: I am certain that the best line is:
Nearly a toss up - will answer next ? instead 1 5.26%
As played=> check turn, call river 11 57.89%
Bet/fold turn, check behind river 7 36.84%
Bet/fold turn, bet river 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Travel Forum Proposal (Again)

[ QUOTE ]
is there a "cost" to creating a new forum?

presumably, if there is no traffic it could be closed down, but at the same time, if it is popular, it makes sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there's not a cost. It's not like someone is going to boycott 2+2 because the admins made a travel forum.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:30 PM

I dont really care if you get a travel forum or not. In fact, I've probably travelled more than most people on here and might even contribute to the travel forum. But there is definitely a cost. I mean, if there were NO cost, then you could make a million fora, right? But obviously that would be insane and would destroy the whole site. So, yea, there is a cost. Also, Grunch thinks there's an even larger cost of damaging the community by splintering it into too small pieces, but I can't comment on that - just throwing it out there.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont really care if you get a travel forum or not. In fact, I've probably travelled more than most people on here and might even contribute to the travel forum. But there is definitely a cost. I mean, if there were NO cost, then you could make a million fora, right? But obviously that would be insane and would destroy the whole site. So, yea, there is a cost. Also, Grunch thinks there's an even larger cost of damaging the community by splintering it into too small pieces, but I can't comment on that - just throwing it out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no cost... the largest forums out there have a much larger list of forums than we do... that is one reason why they grow [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

There is however, an unexploited revenue opportunity for 2+2, with Niche forums... in line with other suggestions made by ElD...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Met,

I wanted to ask a question about European travel, but I wasn't sure how to either make it interesting to all of OOT or ensure it stayed visible for a decent amount of time without constant self-bumpage. So I went to a different forum to ask. Too bad for 2+2 page views, I guess.

Another vote in favor of travel forum.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM

If you don't think a travel question would be good for OOT, there is always TLDR. I told Peachy to post there when she was going to Africa and she got what she needed.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:56 PM

i would love to have more good posts about travel in OOT btw, just not a bunch of 'hay guys gointa hawaii in eight hours what should i dooooo' type things. when i drove cross-country i posted about it with photos, i think that type of thing is cool.

if a travel forum was created i would definitely post in it and look for advice in it as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:57 PM

I'm not so sure what's so terrible about someone looking for ideas for his upcoming Hawaii trip. But I didn't see the post and I'm pretty out of touch with OOT and its standards.

I think Met makes a good case for a travel forum.
I am definitely in favor of it and would swing by occasionally.

I think I was barely aware when the Mod Playground was a travel forum and stopped by once or twice.
But I don't think enough people knew about it and I guess I just wasn't that interested in it at the time.

Like Met, I have no idea what is in the mod-playground right now. I just don't even think about it I guess.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think a travel question would be good for OOT, there is always TLDR. I told Peachy to post there when she was going to Africa and she got what she needed.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess that's one way of making sure the post stays at the top of a forum, but I'm not sure it would get any more views than it would quickly falling off the top of OOT.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess that's one way of making sure the post stays at the top of a forum, but I'm not sure it would get any more views than it would quickly falling off the top of OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think TLDR is a way to make it stay on the top, but yeah I'm not sure it's going to get more views or dedicated responses. I never venture in TLDR and there are many posts I could probably help out with.

This also brings up the problem of travel posts being in one of 5 or 6 different forums. Where should I go to look for them? It needs a central place.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:48 AM

So 80% of the people voting in the poll would like a travel forum. That's good but I know detractors will point out under 20 people even voted, which isn't much of a mandate. However, like Mod's Playground... who exactly goes into a About the Forums unless they specifically need something.

I could add a manual sig to my posts for a week to get some people looking at this thread or I could post a thread in OOT or somewhere else, but both of these feel spammy and I wouldn't do them without the approval of the mod in each specific forum... so what should I do?

I'm certain if people were made aware of a proposal for this it would get pretty overwhelming support, or at the very least enough support to sustain a forum. It's just falling victim to the same problem the Travel Forum had as Mod's Playground.