Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Motherboard Replacment info ??

Yes. you could swap motherboards. However I'd first swap hard drives to rule out a software problem. Then I'd swap power supplies, etc. Actually motherboard would be the last thing I test because its the most time consuming to remove/replace.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 AM

Gold....brilliant....I totally missed the part that it is actually successfully booting into Windows! I was thinking that he meant after power up, nothing at all was happening, no post, no Windows boot, just it hanging then powering down. BUT if it's actually booting into Windows that is a totally different story and very unlikey to be the motherboard. Not saying it isn't possible, but highly unlikely compared to so many other things.

I agree that some sort of an infection or even a corrupt driver could cause something strange like this. The fact that it doesn't sometimes run for 5 minutes and sometimes 2 seconds sure makes it seem like a software problem rather than a hardware problem. If it really crashes every time after about the same amount of time, it make me think the crash occurs when something (software) is being loaded.

Then again....it could be possible that the CPU is over-heating and that is why it crashes at near the same time over and over.

I know that you wasted your money with the Best Buy bunch but I'm thinking a local repair/help person is who you need at this point.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Have you tried to boot into safe mode yet? Do this and see if the computer will stay running. Power on while pressing F8. Once the computer gets into safe mode, if it continues to run, then we probably have a software problem and don't need to play with the Mobo.

Also if you have taken the side of the computer off, see if the fan on the CPU is running, some mobos have a setting to shut down the computer if the CPU fan stops running to protect the computer.

Paulie
Old 03-27-2007, 01:25 PM

XP?

Boot up into Bios (F2 ?)

Advanced

Hardware Monitoring

Display H/W Settings

Are the fans spinning??

There should be some temperatures listed also. My bios shows three temps. They should all be about the same. See if any (probably the Processor) rise faster than the others. Twofold answer here as if it's a temp problem, you will still also shutdown after a minute or so as "usual".