Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Digital SLR Suggestions

"on a budget" doesn't really work for DSLR's.

The initial body purchase is only about 20% of the equation.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:45 PM

nikon>canon
Old 01-22-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nikon>canon

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Nikon guy, but don't start that. There's no clear answer, and it just ends up being a huge derail. The real answer is that both are high quality products, and EITHER will provide 98% of consumers with all they'd ever need.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:21 PM

I'd recommend the D50 over the D70s. Easier to use and some would argue takes equivalent or even better pictures as well.

The kit lens included with the D50 is, however, not as good as the D70s'. I would just buy the D50 body and get something like the Sigma 18-50 f2.8, which is better then either kit lens, or perhaps the Nikon 18-200 as another poster suggested. Nikon has come out with a new 70-300 that has vibration reduction and I'd take a very serious look at that as well (might not quite be out yet, I'm not certain).
Old 01-22-2007, 04:27 PM

I've used the Rebel XT, Canon 20D, and Canon 30D. The 20 and the 30 are in a different class than the XT, but you can still get comparable results (the kits come with the same EF-S lens). One of the biggest differences between the XT and 20/30D is physical size. The XT feels like a toy in your hand, because its so small (and I don't have big hands).

The 30D may be out of your price range, but if you could can afford it, I'd recommend that. You can probably get a 20D for a good price right now. It is virtually identical to the 30D, but has a smaller LCD screen and a couple less features.

On the other hand, I have never used the D70/D70s, but I've heard nothing but good things about these cameras and I'm sure you can't go wrong with it.

On Flickr, there is now a feature where you can browse other's photos by most popular camera types. I'd recommend doing that to get an idea of some output.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nikon>canon

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Nikon guy, but don't start that. There's no clear answer, and it just ends up being a huge derail. The real answer is that both are high quality products, and EITHER will provide 98% of consumers with all they'd ever need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Nikon now uses Sony sensors, and Nikon has focused on what it does best, the new Nikons are good DSLRs.

However, Canon is *still* a superior sensor.

In short:

Nikon: Better features, more rugged body, more $$.

Canon: Better sensor means better image performance in most cases, and les $$.

Canon L series lenses compare to Nikkor (I do prefer Nikkor, but have not done my own A/B compare, the Canon lenses I've used were pretty nice).

It's hard to say if the D80 or XTi is "better" - they both have various advantages and disadvantages.

AB
Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM

Measurbators love to talk about this and that on Nikons or Cannons but in the end it doesn't really matter. In the end the camera has very little to do with how good your pictures are. Ken Rockwell at www.kenrockwell.com does a pretty good job of reviewing Nikon and Cannon stuff and basically says that Cannons are sharper when you are shooting on tripods and have time to get everything set just so on the camera, Nikons are easier to shoot with on the go.

Things not to worry about:
Number of pixels - Unless you are going to be printing 30"x40" regularly it doesn't matter. I use a D70s (6 meg) and have shone 16"x20" prints with no problems at all.

Ok, that's all I can think of. If you want to see what a D70S with either the kit lens or the cheapest 70-300mm zoom Nikon makes can do look at www.kerotography.com.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Well i just did some price checking and the D70s Body + the 18-200mm Lens, would total $1500, which would work out almost the same as buying it bundled. But with a better lense.

When i said i was on a budget it meant i had limitations not that i want everything under 1K.

I tried to get a canon EOS 400D through the FPP store, which is the AUS equivelant to the Rebel XTi, But starts apparently cant order a 400D for some reason and they can only get a 350D,

Now if i can get a 400D through the FPP store its going to cost me half price, ( im buying it through a friends FPP's)

Would a 400D still be a good DSLR? and this way the money im saving i can spend on more lens's and memory.

Thanks for the suggestions
Dan
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure to pay attention and read reviews if you buy a dSLR body that comes with a lens. For instance, the Nikon 18-70mm that is commonly sold with the D70s body is far superior to the 18-55mm that is sometimes sold with the D50 and D70s.

Just my advice, but I'd get the kit that didn't come with the Tamron 70-300mm. Not a great lens, and they're probably charging you more than it's worth to add it to the kit. If you're going to get a longer lens of that type, I'd buy the Nikon 70-300mm separately. Comparable in price to the Tamron, but superior in quality.

Alternatively, buy the body with no lens, and get the kickass 18-200mm VR Nikon lens. It will do nearly everything the 18-70mm and 70-300mm will do, and is much faster. Quite a bit more expensive, but definitely a nice piece of equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this lens too, at least in theory. It's about as perfect a walk-around lens as you are going to get. Light and covers a huge range. Like any lens, it has its faults -- but the main one, the zoom creep, has been fixed in the latest builds. And while there are sharper lenses out there, it is still quite sharp in the center at most focal lengths, and plenty sharp enough for most people. Can't beat the versatility of this lens. And the VR (vibration reduction) adds a lot, too.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nikon>canon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since Nikon now uses Sony sensors, and Nikon has focused on what it does best, the new Nikons are good DSLRs.

However, Canon is *still* a superior sensor.

In short:

Nikon: Better features, more rugged body, more $$.

Canon: Better sensor means better image performance in most cases, and les $$.

Canon L series lenses compare to Nikkor (I do prefer Nikkor, but have not done my own A/B compare, the Canon lenses I've used were pretty nice).

It's hard to say if the D80 or XTi is "better" - they both have various advantages and disadvantages.

AB

[/ QUOTE ]

Canon has full frame, and that has its advantages, as does not having full-frame, too. A lot of the arguing between Nikon and Canon is more suited to people who like forums than people who like photography.

Truth be told, most people don't need anything more than 6 megapixels, don't blow up their shots all that big, and won't get full value out of a lot of what either a Canon or a Nikon can do for them. For the average guy, a digital SLR is probably overkill even at the lower ends, and will take a good long while to come close to mastering. And for everyone, it's more the photographer that makes the picture than the camera.