Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Chef\'s knife

My aunt got me a couple Wustof nights for my birthday a while back. I don't use them often, but they are pretty awesome. Slice right through ribs with barely more than the weight of your hand behind it.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM

HYACHACHACHA
Old 05-06-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HYACHACHACHA

[/ QUOTE ]
wow.

OP, I like the globals alot myself. I used the 12 inch chef's knife for most everything in culinary school and the random restaurant work I did. I've used the Global santoku and Shun cleaver and liked both.

All that said, I still use my knife kit from culinary school and feel that those knives serve me just fine as well.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 PM

you know, i worked in restaurants for a long time, and chopped up a lot of stuff. i suspect that the average 20-something guy, if you gave him one of those cheap blue-handled chef's knives and a mid-range knife like the ones we're discussing, wouldn't be able to tell much difference in terms of ease of use, etc. other than the handle of course. not to say the knives we're talking about aren't better, but unless you do some real heavy-duty cooking and have some actual knife skills, it's not one of those things that matters all that much. i'd much rather spend that 100 bucks or so on some cool kitchen gadget or something.

my boss, who was a culinary institute graduate and a fantastic cook, agreed with me on this one.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you know, i worked in restaurants for a long time, and chopped up a lot of stuff. i suspect that the average 20-something guy, if you gave him one of those cheap blue-handled chef's knives and a mid-range knife like the ones we're discussing, wouldn't be able to tell much difference in terms of ease of use, etc. other than the handle of course. not to say the knives we're talking about aren't better, but unless you do some real heavy-duty cooking and have some actual knife skills, it's not one of those things that matters all that much. i'd much rather spend that 100 bucks or so on some cool kitchen gadget or something.

my boss, who was a culinary institute graduate and a fantastic cook, agreed with me on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspected this. I am in the market for a big ass meat cleaver so if I want to bbq some cut, I can butcher it right, and a nice normal kitchen knife, but w/ these prices for knives, I kind of started thinknig that it would be like buying a 2000$ set of irons for someone who has never golfed.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 PM

I agree with NT!. A good knife is something that you will be able to use for the rest of your life though. The fifty dollar premium for a nice handle and weight is well worth it over the years in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:44 PM

I've had Wusthof Classic knives for the past 5-6 years, and they're excellent. If you're getting good knives you should also look into getting a sharpening steel (and figure out how to use it), fwiw. Their 10" chef's knife (amazon link) is in your price range

Global does generally make very good knives. I think this one will probably be the next knife I buy.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:15 PM

I have a set of globals. They are definitely really good knives. Well balanced, and stay sharp for a long time. Unless you plan on doing stupid stuff like they do on infomercials like cutting bricks and pipes....

If you're really into super knives check out Shun. Those are sweet