Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Am i lying to myself

Thanks for the reply. I'm in my 3rd semester now and have raised my GPA the last two semesters, but I'm guilty of deluding myself with the idea that internet gaming is going to impress people on my resume. This has caused me to fall short of my potential and take an easy course load (in the # of credits. I'm still taking moderately difficult courses).

This semester I'm going to attempt to change that attitude and really focus on school. This thread has been a bit eye opening for me.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
. if you were to write a program like SNG power tools or something, that would be impressive as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

can someone explain to me more about this? and talk a little bit more about how one may talk about poker and seem intelligent and knowledgable without seeming like the degenerate gambler that society attaches on poker?

Well, my school certainly isn't UVA but it is in the businessweek's top 25 undergrad business schools. (Villanova)

Let me ask you this then, how many hours do you guys gamble and how many hours studying, reading notes, homework, ect after class? I was hoping to get an internship this summer but nobody wants to hire an upcoming sophmore, especially since i have no connections. should i pursue harder or is does it not matter that much since i am only a freshman.

I was thinking, maybe after i hit around 50k in my bankroll, i'll put about 25-30 thousand of that in an investment portfolio or maybe even daytrade. Cause my school's got this lab where the technology is there to actually trade, fully equiped with bloomberg, the three monitors, and a bunch of other programs i dont know how to use yet.

I've also heard that trading desks look favorably upon people who play poker and some companies even make their new employees learn poker. Because most trading today is done using quantitative models and such, they probably teach poker with a lot of quantitative aspects to it right? As opposed to playing poker on reading players, recognizing betting patterns, ect I need help with my game in thinking more statistics such. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 PM

newOcean,

You are in a much better school than I thought congrats. Personally I do whatever it takes to maintain the GPA I want and then devote other time to gaming. Usually it ends up around 15-20 a week in studies/class and whatever I want the other 140.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:22 PM

eh, some people never heard of the school, some only know it for our bball, and some say its ok. regardless, I'm trying to transfer into a better school, hopefully i get into cornell. But hopefully I get a 4.0 2nd semester and a 50k bankroll by summer. Is that even possible? I have 500 right now.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:30 PM

Very.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 PM

that Very doesn't look so promising right now. I just dropped 2 buyins on 25max. i wish someone would spot me and tell me if its just variance or its coolers. im playing on bodog which prevents me from posting hands or using pokertracker; mayb i should switch to a capable poker site?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM

Possible, doesn't mean you are going to do it. Heck your plan might even suck in and of itself. I have no clue. I just know several people who've started with a few bucks and made 50k in 6 months.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that Very doesn't look so promising right now. I just dropped 2 buyins on 25max. i wish someone would spot me and tell me if its just variance or its coolers. im playing on bodog which prevents me from posting hands or using pokertracker; mayb i should switch to a capable poker site?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are trying to "improve" your game, you should definately be playing on a PT compatible site... fwiw, I believe you can import Bodog hands using DogWatch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a 50k bankroll by summer. Is that even possible? I have 500 right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds incredibly optimistic to me.

Krishan
Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 AM

Sounds impossible if you have to ask.