Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: how do i go about fighting this?

[ QUOTE ]
when the movie studio sells copies of a movie to a rental place, they charge them a different amount than the standard retail price. it is illegal to rent out a copy that you paid retail for. you have to pay for a different license. IIRC, these are somewhere between $60 and $100.

it's possible their licensing deals have changed recently with the preponderance of online rental places, but it's very likely it cost the rental place much more than $20 to replace the copy you lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

the collector's "formula" was $20 for the video and $1 a day for 80 days overdue. what's also sketchy is that it was well over 80 days overdue. so i think they just rounded it off at 100 since they figured the higher they charge, the more likely i am to cause problems
Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Just pay it the collection guy want his money his not going to negotiate with you. If you try to stiff him his going to get a court order enter your home and take $300 worth of stuff to auction off to pay his $100 fee. At least he will if your laws are anything like the UK's.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Collection agencies aren't going to sue you for $100 or come take your stuff. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't accept $50 if you offered to pay it right away. The collections agency doesn't make a penny if you don't pay so there is incentive for them to deal.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 PM

Pay the fine, next time don't lose DVDs.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:30 PM

Depending on the deal the store has with the collections agency, you may be able to pay the store and have them call off the agency. A friend of mine did that with a Bell bill about 5 years ago, so it's at least feasible.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:35 PM

the 100 isn't just for the video. i'm sure there are lawyer and similar labor costs involved in transferring it to a collection agency. besides, if you think you are going to save money by suing for 100 you're in for a wild ride. i can't wait for that post.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM

It's quite likely that you cost the video store 100 bucks worth of business by keeping the film for that long, if not more. As others have noted, they pay a good bit more for movies than retail customers do, and having their stock tied up with a customer or lost/stolen prevents them from recouping on the investment.

Small video stores don't have it easy. I used to live right down the street from one of these places, the owner was a cool guy, very young, very laid back about late fees and stuff if you were cool with him. There were some kids who lived next door to me that I kind of knew who went away for winter break (5 weeks or so) and left a couple of new releases in their apartment. He knew I lived next door to them and asked if I had a key or something, then when they came back and did a drop-n-dash, he asked me if I could get them to come by and settle up rather than just charge their card. Like I said, pretty patient guy, these kids were jackasses so I didn't feel for them at all. He told me that having the videos tied up like that probably cost him more business than the late fees even covered.

Sucks that it went to a collection agency but you are actually pretty much in the wrong here dude. Even if the collection agency were dicks about it and you could have settled up for less (because the store knows they can't track down and sue everyone who doesn't pay a fine) you don't really have a case for small claims.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pay the fine, next time don't lose DVDs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-14-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Collection agencies aren't going to sue you for $100 or come take your stuff. I'd be surprised if they wouldn't accept $50 if you offered to pay it right away. The collections agency doesn't make a penny if you don't pay so there is incentive for them to deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't they report you to the credit bureau for something like this?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't they report you to the credit bureau for something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

they can and will. its the only weapon they really have.