Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Party $25 - AJ hits trips on river - facing all-in.

[ QUOTE ]
We don't want to open up this arguement again, but limping preflop is TERRIBLE. Fold it, or raise it if you reallllly want to play it.

As played, fold the river. He has a boat here, what, 97.48795 of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

You are sooo right! I called and he shows AT. If I had raised pre-flop I probably would have won 35 cents, but then again, thatīs better than to lose $26.
I can see why you dont like the limping, but is the river call really that bad? Iīve seen people try to scare opponents off with A-rag in these situations. He didnīt show any strength pre-flop so I didnīt think he was holding AK or AQ. But I guess I learned something out of this. Normally I limp AJ from early position pre-flop but I fold if anyone raises behind me. That didnīt happen here. In this hand the flop hitted me but I was dead anyway.

Thanks for your opinions
// M
Old 06-12-2006, 09:13 AM

I can look at the hand and say it's an easy fold, but when I'm actually at the table I'd probably suck and call. He's tight, and fairly passive. AK/AQ are well within his range, as is AT, 55, even TT. Put yourself in his shoes, what would you do. Your play looks like an Ace. If you are typical $25NL player, you are never folding an Ace, so he might as well push to get max value from his boat.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does he have to have a boat here?

Hero has shown very little strength throughout the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain is reasonably tight. Making the assumption that a reasonably tight player is not a complete moron is probably the safest way to go. Hero has called villain down on every street, then led the river when the second ace dropped. villain no doubt puts hero on either some form of busted draw, or trip aces. If hero has a busted draw, he won't call any raise. If hero has trip aces, he's very likely to call a push. Therefore, villain in this hand can beat trip aces about 90% of the time. The other 10% he's got air. Calling here is insane against this villain IMO. If he was 70/40 this is an instacall. Against this guy in a small pot, this is an insta-fold. Hero should have raised on an earlier street so that we'd have some idea of where we stood.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:18 AM

Miraculix,

1) Yeah, fold preflop, dont limp or raise. This is FR and a likely dominated hand UTG. Just play pockets there and AK/AQ, just toss away everything else. The big problem with limping, is that a) you say you fold if some1 raises, well, you're just tossing away that BB everytime that happens. b) even if you see a flop and get a lot of ation with your ace, you can't be sure you're ahead

2) The river call was VERY bad. I see this done a lot at low limits, you think, WOW TRIP ACES!!! Well look at the turn and now look at the river, you realise that your hand hasn't improved 1 bit right? And I bet you weren't willing to get all in on that turn. Also, if he had A-rag, why would he try and scare you off? Surely he would just call, no? IMO, the only cards he can have that play the hand/river this way are AT/TT/55 given his stats (NOTE: Although he might limp A5s, the only ace left is a club and the 5c is already out)
Old 06-12-2006, 10:25 AM

Raising preflop is certainly fine; you're not going to be dominated much in a 6 max game. Raising is totally fine. Limping is NOT.

Raise preflop to 1, or fold. Last option is a limp, and that should be a misclick. The reason is, AJ is a top pair hand, and you don't want to play a pot with tons of people in it. Either you'll win a very small pot when you flop top pair, or you'll lose a sizeable one when you have top pair (A's) and someone else has two pair or better. AJ really doesn't play well with lots of people in the pot.

At NL 25-100, I'll raise this UTG at almost all tables because the players are so weak/passive.

Post flop, you should have bet out on the flop, betting basically the whole pot because you want to build it. The reason you bet and not check/call is because you want to build the pot yourself, not watch someone else build a tiny pot. You don't want to c/r the flop because it announces your hand. So betting out is best, and of course the hand plays out differently from that point.

On to the river...I wouldn't say that calling or folding is terrible. You could call because I'm sure guys at this level would go in with a worse ace, but given the fact that the pot is tiny, I'd probably muck and go read Super System, and learn how to play aggressively [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-12-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising preflop is certainly fine; you're not going to be dominated much in a 6 max game. Raising is totally fine. Limping is NOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game is 8 handed... not 6max. Not sure if you caught that
Old 06-12-2006, 10:42 AM

sorry; i did a quick glance and saw it wasn't full and assumed it was 6, ty.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see this done a lot at low limits, you think, WOW TRIP ACES!!! Well look at the turn and now look at the river, you realise that your hand hasn't improved 1 bit right? And I bet you weren't willing to get all in on that turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 06-12-2006, 10:58 AM

i dislike the way this hand was played on every street on just about every level.

I am a bit lost when it comes to what to do on the river coz getting into this situation is probably not something I have done for a while/ever.

The only reason to possibly call this is because the rest of the hand was played so bad villian is totally unaware of the strength you have.

However even the most unobservant of villians has noticed there are 3 aces on the board and has just made a massive overbet.

Goodness knows what he expects to call him (maybe villian has a full house and is gambling you have an ace for a big payday) but the bet is just so ludicrous and the pot so small i simply fold.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:01 AM

Here is what we do know. Villain probably has an A, possibly a boat. There is no way to tell if his A is stronger than yours though because you played the hand atrociously on previous streets. As played, I probably call. Yes he has an 18 VPIP, but a 3 AF, which leads me to believe he could do this with something silly like A7-9.

You really have to find out where you are at an earlier point in the hand to avoid this kind of situation.