Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: anyone play this differently?

Id raise preflop but either way whatever

against MP still in pot I think value bet is much closer but id still make it against BB its a bet. period.

nice hand like flop and turn obviously
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM

It sounds like I'm wrong but I raise the flop. We can't protect, but that's not the only reason to raise. Value needs to be considered. We very likely have the best now and there are tons of draws that will call hero's raise. By just calling we run the risk of the turn getting checked to hero who will bet, then everybody folding to hero's river bet.

If it were a big field, I like a flop call. But hero is only facing two opponents when it's his turn to act.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM

its worth those risks and passing up immediate thinner value to wait for turn where our pot equity changes dramatically
Old 07-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Nice hand.

On the flop, I think it's best to wait and hope to get in a raise on a favorable turn, like you did. In some instances, this could lead to making one of those raise-folds that I'm not very good at, but it does seem to me like waiting is the best way to try to maximize your value (and I doubt you'll get 3-bet on a turn blank very often at all).

You've represented a bigger hand than you actually have, but the river bet still looks good to me. Just don't be shocked if BB calls and wins with 95o.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its worth those risks and passing up immediate thinner value to wait for turn where our pot equity changes dramatically

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the concept, I guess my argument is the fewer the opponents the less dramatic the change in equity. Against three or more, then there's a good chance that you're up against 3 or 4 overcards, diamonds, straight draws, etc. Not to mention this pot is very small on the flop.

In most examples of this play I've seen, the field is large and the pot is too (so even gutshots/single overcards have the implied odds to call a flop raise, making it better to wait for the turn).

This particular hand worked because an opponent bet the turn in front of you. If that doesn't happen, you miss bets against your most likely opponents (flush draws). When it does, there's a greater likelihood that you're behind already.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:52 PM

Haven't read the responses yet, looks pretty good to me. River bet is thin, but I like it.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can someone explain why raising the flop is bad?
cus we can't protect and we have to dodge alot of overs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep pretty much. If there's 2-3 overs out there + a flush draw our equity edge is very small. If we raise now and a good card comes on the turn, we wont get many bets. If we wait till the turn, and raise a safe card, we push a large equity edge even harder than you would have on the flop (cause its bigger bets). We may also get a small diamond draw to fold (if thats the only one out there, this is huge).
Old 07-22-2006, 03:35 AM

raising the flop also won't work for reasons related to cheap showdown because of the mono flop (are there any general thoughts on this in a situation such as vulnerable top pair and 4 people seeing the turn or is the turn bet/raise considered mandatory?).

shoe
Old 07-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Postflop is perfect. Preflop, I prefer to raise or fold.

For those asking why the flop is not a raise, it's because our equity is too low. It's very possible that our flop raise could be -EV, depending on the opponents' hands.

Here's a couple example situations:

Hand 1: 32.0413 % 30.34% 01.70% { Qs9s }
Hand 2: 51.1997 % 51.16% 00.04% { KdTh }
Hand 3: 16.7590 % 15.06% 01.70% { 9c7h }

Hand 1: 30.1587 % 30.12% 00.04% { Qs9s }
Hand 2: 45.7733 % 45.74% 00.04% { Ad2c }
Hand 3: 24.0679 % 24.03% 00.04% { Ts7h }

Basically, if one of the opponents has a diamond, which is very likely, and the other opponent has 5-6 outs, some of the time, we're not actually raising for value. Plus, there's the times when a diamond/7/6 falls on the turn, and we have to muck what could be the best hand, which effectively lowers our equity. Even against two random hands, we're only ~40%, and I think it's safe to assume that the villains have better than random hands. A lot of the time, we're going to be slightly ahead, or very behind.