Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Re: BBV: Anyone know Virginia traffic laws??

I got a speeding ticket going 81, the fine was only something like 250. Honestly, 14 hours of driving is probably 5 tanks of gas anyway, which is around 50 dollars a tank, so it'll cost you 250 to drive down there.

It shouldn't appear on your record, states arent linked up that well, especially if you live somewhere that far away. At least it didn't for me. One disclaimer is that supposedly MA is seperate from the rest of the country or something wierd.

Pay the fine and move on. Don't speed in VA.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't speed in VA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, you don't have to do that. I drive route 81 very often... you just gotta know where the cops are (very obv on 81) and only go like 10-14 over the speed limit.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:25 PM

i was on 75 going south.

if i take the online driving class, could i just mail the results to the judge? i really would rather not have to take that drive again if at all possible...

as for the comment i made, you have to take it in context...the officer was asking me where i was going, and i said..

me: to georgia, from ohio

him: ahh, i hate those long drives too

me: yeah, i've been trying to cut down the hours, and have been driving pretty fast for a while now..

him: oh yeah? 86 isn't fast enough?

me: i did about 90 through the whole state of west virginia

him: this probably will slow you down a little

me: yeah, two tickets on the same trip would be unacceptable

i wished him safe travels, and we were off. the way i wrote it, it probably seemed like i was being a jerk, though it was far from that. maybe he was trying to get info to write in a report, but i doubt it. i was just going along with deputy do-right, trust me, i wasn't trying to piss off the great commonwealth of virginia...

i'm off to find that online class..
Old 06-14-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a speeding ticket going 81, the fine was only something like 250. Honestly, 14 hours of driving is probably 5 tanks of gas anyway, which is around 50 dollars a tank, so it'll cost you 250 to drive down there.

It shouldn't appear on your record, states arent linked up that well, especially if you live somewhere that far away. At least it didn't for me. One disclaimer is that supposedly MA is seperate from the rest of the country or something wierd.

Pay the fine and move on. Don't speed in VA.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the advice i was looking for...at least just to alleviate my worries..
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM

It doesn't matter the context. The cops write down everything that is said. The judge will not read the context the same way as you or the cop.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM

I have a friend who got a speeding ticket in VA and just didn't pay it. Apparently it didn't carry over to here (CA) and the only worry he has now is he can't drive legally in VA. Maybe it's because VA is [censored] nanny state about speeding that other states don't have reciprocity agreements with them.

I had to drive through VA about 2 hours back and forth to college, I know what it's like there.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 PM

another story from this incident: the reason my girl and i drove down, rather than fly, is because a) she doesn't like to fly, and b) it's much easier to bring a 1/2 ounce of weed in a car than on a plane.

so while i'm trying to pull off, because i know there's a bag of weed not 2 feet away from me, my girl keeps asking these assinine questions...i keep trying to give her 'the eye', but she is ignoring me. questions like, 'well, will you be in court, to tell the judge we were cooperative?', and 'can you give us directions to the courthouse?'...really dragging things out.

as if i had any plans on driving back anyway. finally, she shut up, and we drove off. i scolded her for the next 15 miles (doing exactly 65mph)...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter the context. The cops write down everything that is said. The judge will not read the context the same way as you or the cop.

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderful.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I go to school in Virginia. VA offers an "online driving course" you can take. TAKE THIS COURSE... pass it and then take your results with you to the judge.

My friend got charged with going 88 in a 65 and because he was proactive and took the course before his court date the charge was DROPPED. <font color="orange"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

one more question about that...i see it's $49.95...i can take it voluntarily to reduce driving points, which i suppose is a good investment.

how long does this thing take? it says you can take it 'at your own pace' 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...this thing isn't a week-long type thing, is it? i'm hoping maybe a couple hours..
Old 06-14-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
just out of curiosity, what exactly do cops right down in spots like these? ie. info other than what's written on the ticket