Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Rising through the stakes, TL DR.

I think you should watch out man, your play never really impressed me and your sudden move up to 200nl really surprises me. Not trying to be a dick, just stating my opinion.

That aside, I wish you the best of luck and hope you continue to play a mean game of poker!

let me expanse farther into my negative opinion.. When a standard player suddenly hits a large upswing, a DS/large breakeven is sure to be around the corner. Just be wise of this as im sure you are.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm in such a situation ... 2k upswing, 1k down
my sozial part scream " [censored] you've just lost 1000 bucks in three days" but I know ... hey it was only 3stacks @ NL200 and 4 stacks @ NL100 ... thats like nothing for three consecutive days of loosing.
I had three or four 6 stack loosing days at NL50 (in 100k hands) and hey ... I'm still alive with a nice NL100 BR and if I continue to loose ... whatever? I'm gonna play another 50k hands at NL50 and be right back

@OP gl&hf, you have no lack of devotion I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Something to prove...not the best motivation for playing poker in my opinion. Be careful that your self esteem, your ego, your opinion of yourself does not get wrapped up in poker results -- or even poker in general.

Poker is a fickle mistress and will chop your unit off if you trust her with it.

Find your self worth in something else. God, friends, family, really anything but a game!

I play chess and see people lose their soul to a game and never find happiness...

A word to the wise is sufficient I hope.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:44 AM

I hope you keep posting when u hit a downswing.

Best of luck to you.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:44 PM

lol @ pokerfun007.

I know i will hit downswings, its inevitable. Ive had a couple of 2 outers (and a 1 outer) already, and i know it can be brutal.

But I need that push. I need that drive. Its what i do in every aspect of my life. To be the best. Does that mean win every hand? Of course not, it means save money in any losing situation and maximize expectation in any winning one.

Thanks for the responses guys, means a lot you put up with my drunken ramblings, even if they are the truth. And when the downswing happens i am just as readt to move down in stakes I moved up in them.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ pokerfun007.

I know i will hit downswings, its inevitable. Ive had a couple of 2 outers (and a 1 outer) already, and i know it can be brutal.

But I need that push. I need that drive. Its what i do in every aspect of my life. To be the best. Does that mean win every hand? Of course not, it means save money in any losing situation and maximize expectation in any winning one.

Thanks for the responses guys, means a lot you put up with my drunken ramblings, even if they are the truth. And when the downswing happens i am just as readt to move down in stakes I moved up in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't lol @ pokerfun. He gives you honest and good advice. There's no reason you can't be mentally tough and refrain from being arrogant and condescending at the same time. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You say you've had a "couple 2 outers". Wait until you have 7 in one day. You'll be convinced you're cursed and you'll never win again. You'll never, ever want to play again. Pushing through that day(s) will be what ultimately decides your success or failure.

Anyway, I think it's awesome that you're so driven. Good luck to you. Just be cool along the way.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 PM

When anyone says find your self worth in something else and their first word is god, I have very strong opinions about that type of deal.

So I guess i am sorry for offending, and funny enough i played chess for a few years as well, but god... lol.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ive had a couple of 2 outers (and a 1 outer) already, and i know it can be brutal.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMN! I am not so good in english to explain it clearly and correctly.

You got couple 1-2 outer dosent mean that downswing is coming and now you are ready for this, just minimizing your losses.

Downswings are not as weather or thunderstrom what you can predict and avoid. You look at the sky and see the dark clouds and say: "Storm is coming". But these "couple 1-2 outers" are not dark clouds and ever never you cant know when the downswing coming.

Also you cant say that you are in downswing. Maybe this is your bad play. After then, if you are passed downswing you can say: This was a real downswing.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:09 PM

I remember one weekend being up 7 buy-ins and 1 NL100 table and 3 more at another. The next night I took another shot at NL200 and was up 6 buy-ins at a table. Nothing like feeling invincible. Every draw made, every big hand paid.

Later, I was humbled.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It'd be fun for any nl200 regs to post HH's when they're mixing it up with WCG

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had one where we were more than 200 BB deep from yesterday. I 3bet him to $28 preflop. Bet like $62 on a 322 flop and fired like $152 on the turn and he folded. I had AKo. I laughed.