Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Question about Sklansky\'s \"folding for one more bet\" concept in 7CSFAP

It seems to me that these two points have subtleties to consider other that just pot odds.

1) Usually you may well have the odds to make the call but consider that you have attempted to steal and should now be pretty convinced that you are way behind. In the example, if an extra A is dead it affects your potential. Even if you have the odds, folding is not far behind. If you catch, say, a T on 4th you are going all the way and committing a lot more than one small bet on the chase.

2) I like this play with say 2 high cards and a 2-flush. It sets up stealing the pot on 4th or 5th if you can brazen it out. Works also if you re-raise a T or J raise too. Put it this way: When you raise with split tens or jacks and get re-raised by a bigger card, it's not much fun, is it? Do you stay, unimproved past 5th? Same applies when you've limped with a medium pair.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Question about Sklansky\'s \"folding for one more bet\" concept in 7C

At Full Tilt, I have had a "name in red" steal and fold to my raise in late position. Most other players are too loose to ever fold a pair on third street. Actually, I think it happens more often when I raise with the smaller upcard because it represents more strength and I am less likely to be making a move with a three-flush than other players.

I also see some weak players limp-fold, but I suspect it is people liking with very speculative hands like a two-flush or (Ax)x, then folding when they don't get the multi-way action they were hoping for, or when they limp hoping everyone else folds and they can outdraw or take the pot away from the bring-in. I don't think I've ever seen it online from a tight player.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Question about Sklansky\'s \"folding for one more bet\" concept in 7C

I do it all the time if I am am sure I am beat and don't have any overcards..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do it all the time if I am am sure I am beat and don't have any overcards..

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Quite a few of the strongish players in Party/Stars HORSE/Stud 8 games have done it against me as well. If you aren't folding a steal to a reraise every so often you're probably either not stealing enough or making horrible calls on 3rd.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 Questions:

1) Is it correct to steal and then fold for one more bet? It seems like your equity can never be close to bad enough for a fold to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it is often correct to do so. "The reason for this is simply that seven-card stud, as its name implies, is a seven-card game." Reverse implied odds suck goat testicles.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Do people actually make these folds? IE. Is it worth it for me to make some thin reraises or raise tight limpers expecting them to fold for one more bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, I make these folds sometimes. And some other people do as well. Against these players it is probably correct to do what you say. Against others it is not. Your job is to determine which kinda player you're up against. Isn't poker fun?

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]