Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 02:53 PM

Default Re: What limit to start at? (long post)

[ QUOTE ]
the height of my roll was 20K, but I was also pulling money out for expenses, so who knows. I have about 15K right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a hell of a lot of money. I might actually make an exception for you and say NL100. Just be prepared to lose a bunch for a while. No higher than NL100 though, even if you have 1 million dollars.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the height of my roll was 20K, but I was also pulling money out for expenses, so who knows. I have about 15K right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start at nl100, move up if you are killing the games and feel confident. If I were you I wouldn't be able to take NL25 seriously AT ALL.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:03 PM

that was my thought. I don't know if I can take 25NL seriously, but I am willing to try. Additionally, anything more than 2 tables, and I start losing track of things I shouldn't lose track of. I am not focused enough for multi-tabling yet, so maybe 25NL is good practice at making quick decisions? THe last thing I am doing w/ this money is going busto. It has a special place in my heart. I was rounding around the city for a while, there were some tough times, and the roll is a little sentimental to me. I'm not gonna just jump in at a game I might be underqualified for out of pride, even if my original post might seem that way, and lose what I worked [censored] hard for.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

W/ 15k start at 100NL at least. You're not a total novice, you're used to the money and you can take a bit of hit.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Start at nl100, move up if you are killing the games and feel confident. If I were you I wouldn't be able to take NL25 seriously AT ALL.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 100 may even be a stretch. but def dont start any higher than 200nl.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:10 PM

With $15k, make sure you have Pokertracker and PA HUD.

With your roll, NL 100 sounds fine, but just recognize that the reason why Grunch (and others) originally recommended NL$25 is because that is the online equivalent to what you have been playing live.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should start at NL25. You're not nearly as good as you think you are.

Just being frank, not trying to be a jerk.

Well, not being "Frank" in a literal sense... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "Ernest"?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:18 PM

Intellectually, I know the online equivalent of live play is bound to be a lower limit, but it's really such a drastic difference? I'm playing in SF now, and the 1-1-2 game and the 2-3-5 games are really 2-4 and 5-10 respectively w/ a 200 max bet. After reading through some posts I was thinking I'd start w/ a mix of 100NL, 50NL, and 25NL. Is 25NL really the equivalent of live 2-4? I wouldn't be extremely shocked, but I would be a little surprised. It's really that much tougher play online?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NL$25 is because that is the online equivalent to what you have been playing live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you expand on what you mean by that? How/why is 25NL online equiv. to higher stakes games live? Do you mean equivilant caliber of players? Thanks...
Old 09-15-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Intellectually, I know the online equivalent of live play is bound to be a lower limit, but it's really such a drastic limit? I'm playing in SF now, and the 1-1-2 game and the 2-3-5 games are really 2-4 and 5-10 respectively w/ a 200 max bet. After reading through some posts I was thinking I'd start w/ a mix of 100NL, 50NL, and 25NL. Is 25NL really the equivalent of live 2-4? I wouldn't be extremely shocked, but I would be a little surprised. It's really that much tougher play online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play NL$200 online and usually play $1/$2 or $2/$5 live ($300-$500 buy-in). In general, the 'bad' live players (and they are plentiful) are the equivalent of a lot of what you see at NL$25. They chase a lot, call with any Bway cards (especially if its sooooted), the only time they check raise is with a monster, etc.....

The biggest difference online is that, at say NL$200, the good players are much better than what you will see in a live game.

Really, play your first two sessions at NL$25. Tell yourself you need to get used to the software or PA HUD.
Then move up to NL$100. You will have a feel for what level is right for you after you have played a few sessions of each.