Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Hand Advice from Venetian DS Bubble

[ QUOTE ]
I think the moral to this story is, just because others play badly doesn't mean you have to as well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent response!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM

One other piece of advice here, is to always keep in mind what your goal is in a tournament (and it changes often, or at least it should), and do what works best for you.

Some people can play where they can have their eyes on winning the event from the get go, others of us (myself included) have to take it in steps (IE: First the money, then the next level of money, and so on), to get to winning the event.

If your goal is to make it past the bubble at that point (which it sounds like it was), then my advice is to you, don't even look at your cards, just muck them, sight unseen.

Same thing goes when you are in a satalite tourney where no money is awarded, and it's one person out and the rest get the seat.

Learned that lesson the hard way, and went out on the bubble with pocket aces, when I was in the small blind, and the button pushed (he was the chip leader). I looked, and I don't know too many people in their right minds that can fold aces preflop.

I pushed all in, and it goes fold, fold, fold to all the limpers.

The Button had bet 5k, I had 12k total.

He thinks, and then says, well, I figure you got the rockets, so I have 2 live cards.

I could feel the vacume start from his direction already.

He calls, turns over seven duce o/s, and I know I'm doomed.

Flop comes, you guessed it, 7, 7, duce, and the river and turn were of no help to me.

Problem was I forgot why I was there, and the fact that I could of waited it out, added to the fact there were several others shorter stacked than I.

I learned a good lesson there that day, always remember why you are there in the first place, and play accordingly.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I would have won, but that wasn't realy important here...the decision I had was the important thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - I was going to say that if you didn't yourself. In that spot, it's a pretty tough decision, I really can't say what I would've done.