Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: 4 handed 100/200 blindwar hand

I'd check/call here, mostly because I really hate getting raised. I concede that I don't expect him to bet a worse hand here very often except a pure bluff.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think check-folding here is your best bet. The draws seem to have gotten there and I cant imagine such a mediocre player betting the checked river without a made hand

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess you've never bluffed in your life? not seeing a showdown here is bad bad bad.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:30 PM

check fold isn't so bad, i mean you could always just click the fold button and have it fold to him before he even has a chance to act to save a little time.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 AM

My apologies, I THOUGHT i wrote check/call, not check fold...my bad
Old 12-22-2005, 01:58 AM

It doesn't feel right here in a blind v blind struggle, but I would check/call here. I would be sick if I had to call a raise. I think any hand that he raises on the end... you are probably losing to. However, I think you could induce a bluff or induce a perceived value bet from the BB more often here. If he is that involved,ie 26/14, I think he is betting all hands here that he calls with, and also adding in some hands that he would bluff with here. All in all I think a check call line here is best.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't feel right here in a blind v blind struggle, but I would check/call here. I would be sick if I had to call a raise. I think any hand that he raises on the end... you are probably losing to. However, I think you could induce a bluff or induce a perceived value bet from the BB more often here. If he is that involved,ie 26/14, I think he is betting all hands here that he calls with, and also adding in some hands that he would bluff with here. All in all I think a check call line here is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with you that if the villain is betting all hands that he would call with plus a few more bluffs, then check calling would be the best line.

But based on the villains stats I dont think the villain would bet a 9x type hand , a 6x type hand, a lower pocket pair than TT, or 8x if he paired the river by being on some kind of straight draw. Based on BK's stats, the villain doesnt seem that aggressive. I think he would check all these hands, so based on my perception of the villain, bet/call would be the best line IMO, since even if we assume BK always calls a raise after he bets and pays off every time he's second best, he will still make more than enough bets from all the times the villain makes a crying call from a hand he wouldve checked behind, to make up for the bets he loses when he pays off a river raise.

I would also like to point out, that although the event of betting the river and getting raised and calling the raise would make you sick, and believe me I would feel sick too, this event really does not happen that often. Most of the time what will happen is BK will bet and get called by a lesser hand, or BK will bet and get called by a better hand, or BK will bet and the villain will fold. BK betting the river and getting raised is the event that is least likely to happen IMO, which is why I like the bet/call line to pick up all those bets from hands that the villain may check behind.
Just giving you my thoughts on the hand.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 AM

Its possible you are correct. I am struggling with the fact that a 26/14/1.5 player in a blind v blind struggle has just called, called, and now we are at the river and don't know what to do. I would think a typical 26/14 player here would be putting in bets here with any 9 or 7... not just calling.

I really think that the BB has complete air here. If he should have a pair it is definitely a 2 or a 7, but definitley not a nine. The other possibility to consider is that the BB has a big hand (an overpair to the flop) and the A froze him on the turn.

What you say about the possible scenarios on the river is correct. I definitely agree that being raised is the least likely occurance. However, I don't think the BB is calling with any hands that he beats us with, he is raising. He is definitely calling with many hands that we beat.

IMO with a 26/14/1.5 player... all hands that he is calling with on the end, he is betting (except maybe a 2??) and all hands that he beats us with he raises. However, if we check I think the range of bluffing hands he will now bet adds enough value to make check/call the best line.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:05 AM

I don't play this high, but couldn't he have something like 9x or 7x and thought about raising the turn, but changed his plan because the A showed up? Just a random thought.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:28 AM

I think you are good about 50% of the time here, which means it is a bet/call situation. Oftentimes you will catch him with a pair of 6s, 8s, or 9s which you will beat. Sometimes he will have you beat with an ace but the river will scare him into not raising. Sometimes he will have hit a draw on the end and hammer you but that's life.

Check/call is also reasonable but bet/call is better IMO.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:59 AM

If he's decent but not great there is no chance he'll raise the river with less than a pair of aces, so if he does you're toast. In which case I would bet and fold to a raise, as you only have that one overcard. Unless he's smart enough to have been stringing you along all the way, I think you are good to bet and fold to a raise.