Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: 5/10: finding a way to SD

[ QUOTE ]
> if you're going to showdown here I like betting the flop
> and checking to induce a bluff on the turn and river.

He has position, so this scenario can't happen -- if the original poster checks the turn, his opponent obviously didn't bet, and so a turn check will close the betting action on that street.

[/ QUOTE ]

yah you're right. oops. in this case it is much much easier imo. bet flop, check turn, call river would be the best play to guarantee an inexpensive showdown. vs some villains I will bet turn check behind river.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:50 PM

> I hate to be a nit but
> loose = preflop play
>
> aggressive = mostly postflop play

No. Aggression applies on all betting rounds, including pre-flop.

> tons of LAGs frequently openlimp

No. Limping is a passive action.

Your definitions are not the proper use of these terms. Go to the higher stakes boards to confirm.

thiamide
Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
> 5/10 6 players
>
> UTG, a very laggy atrocious player, limps.

By definition, a LAG shouldn't be limping here. I take it he is more loose than aggressive. As an aside, open-limping in a shorthanded LHE game is a tell-tale sign that the player is either bad and/or inexperienced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your definition of LAG is different then what is common place around here. LAG = overaggressive and loose. This definition does not exclude open limping bad hands.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:38 AM

Just bet and call down from a c/r or bet and check the turn and call the river.
If he doesn't bluff the river or does, make a note. Knowing LAG's river bluffing frequencies is like the most important stat to me. If they constantly bluff when you check behind, you can check behind very frequently with ace/king high. If not, you have to vary your play and think a lot more. EG sometimes you want to bet AK UI for value because the board is so low/dry (and hope they bluff raise you), other times you'll want to check it because your hand doesn't do too well vs a random hand, and a c/r will probaibly lose you value.

Sometimes these players check/raise bluff so much, that you are ahead like 50%+ of the time when they raise you on the turn with ace high that you're betting to induce a raise..
It's swingy as hell but at the same time very valuable.

With king high, unfortunatly they are sometimes "bluffing" with ace high which suxors.

Their VPIP% is crucial to these decisions too, if it's lower, while still bluffing a lot, their range is stronger and heavier weighted towards high cards. A decisons vs a 45 VPIP is much different than one against a 100 VPIP.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 PM

> Your definition of LAG is different then what is common
> place around here.

I don't know what you mean by "around here", but my definition is used everywhere that I know of, and by everyone I know. I've been playing poker for 25 years, and that's the definition that's been used. Maybe we should appeal this to the higher stakes boards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

> LAG = overaggressive and loose. This definition does not > exclude open limping bad hands.

Your statement is a contradiction: "Overaggressive" does not mean taking non-aggressive action. Limping/calling is considered to be passive (and passive is the opposite of aggressive).

Regards,
thiamide
Old 05-19-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
> Your definition of LAG is different then what is common
> place around here.

I don't know what you mean by "around here", but my definition is used everywhere that I know of, and by everyone I know. I've been playing poker for 25 years, and that's the definition that's been used. Maybe we should appeal this to the higher stakes boards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

> LAG = overaggressive and loose. This definition does not > exclude open limping bad hands.

Your statement is a contradiction: "Overaggressive" does not mean taking non-aggressive action. Limping/calling is considered to be passive (and passive is the opposite of aggressive).

Regards,
thiamide

[/ QUOTE ]

lol believe as you wish. Far be it for me to contradict someone with such vast experience. I would suggest, however, you don't derail any more threads with this type of "discussion."
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 AM

a 80/30/2 Guy is a big LAG and still limps and calls a ton...sry had to say that

leader your hand depends much on villains history what a read i have and in what a mood i think he is...if hes unknown i almost bet the Turn and chk River and fold to a c/r..if i know hes aggro and bluffy but if we havent a great hostory i almost end up chk Turn and calling River....

the Thing is after i certain History between u and a bluffer the bluffer stops doing this becaue he suspects what your Turn chk means and that youll call his River bet with almost anything...of course some dont but there are a lot of bluffers who adjust after you auto call them and stop bluffing but starting making sick valuebets instead...watch out for those...vs soemone like that i bet the Turn..and i might fold to a c/r or i call down to see in what state of mind he is