Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Sklansky\'s Fighting Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I put the boxer last. His skillset is so limited that he has no clue how to defend anything other than a punch. Mike Tyson in his prime has probably one shot to beat even the best streetfighter. He misses that punch, the streetfighter will tear him apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

No streetfighter in the world without some serious wrestling or grappling experience would beat Mike Tyson in his prime. And I really doubt there are many street fighters with that type of experience. And btw, what do you think Mike Tyson was before he was a boxer....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Tyson may be a stretch, but the best streetfighter/gangbanger in the world is probably the guy on the list who's killed the most people in hand to hand combat. And I really was forgetting that many boxers were essentially street fighters of some sort at some time in their life. So, you are probably right, I just think the streetfighter's killer instinct makes up some for what he lacks in training.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 PM

Forgive me if any of this stuff was covered in the original thread, I got about 5 pages in and gave up.

Doesnt crocop basically fit into the "Navy Seal" category if Navy Seal is just taken to mean elite military unit? Similarly many MMA guys are near the top of the game in many of the asian martial arts (mainly Judo and JJJ, but still). I think several things need to be clarified.

1) Does "best" mean best at boxing, being a navy seal, etc. or the navy seal best suited to this competition?
2) Is the person trained primarily or exclusively in their particular style of fighting?
3) What kind of gear/protection are they wearing? If theres no cup then I think that could give a traditional martial artist a chance against an MMA guy (maybe, probably not).
4) Is this an MMA style somewhat soft enclosure, or are we talking about concrete walls/floor?

I think that anybody that thinks that boxers can take out MMA guys hasnt seen Butterbean fight MMA.
I think that anybody who thinks that MMA guys lack killer instinct hasnt seen Wanderlei Silva fight. In fact this whole killer instinct thing is bogus. Think how much killer instinct Tyson had. If any thing, I think that Navy Seals may have LESS killer instinct than some of these other guys, after all, they are probably more well adjusted, and less used to trying to brutally smash somebodies head in.

MMA
Marital Artist
Boxer/Seal (I think this one would be close)
Street Fighter (How anybody thinks an untrained out of shape [in comparison] punk who does this every once in a while is going to beat anybody is beyond me)
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 PM

Welcome to Sherdog.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 PM

i just have to reiterate that if you don't have the mmaer as #1, the boxer as a clear #2, and the rest wayyyyyy behind in whatever order, then you likely have never sparred in any discipline combining takedowns, striking, and groundwork. you likely haven't trained at all. if you favour the 'asian martial artist' which i am defining as any standard weaponless asian martial art aside from kyokushin karate and judo, then you probably train one of those martial arts AND have either never sparred either at all, or against anyone of a 'non tradition' discipline i.e. wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, bjj, judo, mma. include kyokushin karate, or another form that spars, then you can give the 'asian martial artist' a very distant 3rd instead of the likely last. i also like how they somehow compare navy seals conditioning with that of elite professional athletes (lol).

people that dispute this do sound like sherdog discussing poker.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i just have to reiterate that if you don't have the mmaer as #1, the boxer as a clear #2, and the rest wayyyyyy behind in whatever order, then you likely have never sparred in any discipline combining takedowns, striking, and groundwork. you likely haven't trained at all. if you favour the 'asian martial artist' which i am defining as any standard weaponless asian martial art aside from kyokushin karate and judo, then you probably train one of those martial arts AND have either never sparred either at all, or against anyone of a 'non tradition' discipline i.e. wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, bjj, judo, mma. include kyokushin karate, or another form that spars, then you can give the 'asian martial artist' a very distant 3rd instead of the likely last. i also like how they somehow compare navy seals conditioning with that of elite professional athletes (lol).

people that dispute this do sound like sherdog discussing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to put the martial artist at #2 because a Muay Thai boxer and a pure BJJ practioner are considered martial artists. Both should beat the boxer more than they lose. I even think japanese jujitsu and judo artists have a shot at the boxer.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:46 PM

i don't consider the thai boxer or bjj practitioner to be part of the 'martial artist' definition for that argument- which would certainly change my answer. a good judo guy would have a great shot at the boxer, i agree- i also do not put him in the 'asian martial artist' category- i am using the usual traditional martial arts stereotype. if you train (i can't remember if you do?) i would guess you haven't sparred with any japanese jujitsu guys if you are suggesting they would have any chance with anyone- all of the ones i have sparred with/competed with and all that i know of are total jokes as far as this context goes. i will admit i have had a small sample size, but the '15 year experience 3rd degree black belt' i competed against was awful.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:53 PM

Going by your definition, you're correct. Most people would not be using that definiton but it does make more sense to define it that way since there is a world of difference between the two.

[ QUOTE ]
if you train (i can't remember if you do?) i would guess you haven't sparred with any japanese jujitsu guys if you are suggesting they would have any chance with anyone- all of the ones i have sparred with/competed with and all that i know of are total jokes as far as this context goes

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't sparred with any JJJ artists but I do know that Diego Sanches' base is JJJ (of course he is also an accomplished wrestler, so his JJJ skills may not mean much). I do know that there are many different styles of JJJ, so the quality of fighter may be dependent on style.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:01 AM

diego was a state champ wrestler, i will research his jjj more thanks for the heads up on that. diego is a sick grappler, check out his points loss to garcia.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
diego was a state champ wrestler, i will research his jjj more thanks for the heads up on that. diego is a sick grappler, check out his points loss to garcia.

[/ QUOTE ]

He got subbed by Garcia, though he did last a while. the video is on the net somewhere
Old 12-22-2006, 12:59 AM

Heres the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXF8U2xEDvk

I suggest muting the sound as it has the worst music I have ever heard.