Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Re: ????????????

update - over the past week or so ive been to the taj 2 times, everytime a winning session. on sunday i went around 9pm, there was a pretty good amount of tables playing. I had to wait about 5 minutes, sit down with 180$. the table has your average spread of players, i observe them all because i get no cards for about 25 hands worth playing. 2 guys that are friends, seem to be on vacation both have about 450 in chips in front of them so they must be doin good taj only allows 300 max buy in. 3 young kids, 2 of them mostly limping into almost every flop and folding to any agression unless they hit it , and by hit it i mean mid or low pair is ok to call. and then you have 2 girls that look like they just turned 21, raising almost every hand and basicly look like total amateurs just gambling for fun.

So it was pretty uneventful for a while, i steal a few pots with well timed raises although it was very hard and i knew which players i could do it on cause some would call with ace rag all the way down. My first big hand i pick up KK on the button. I get some nice action on the hand someone else doing the raising for me for 12$ so i call along with 2 others. flop a king, theres some betting on the flop i reraise 25$ to 50. 2 callers. basicly just end up leading this guy along the whole way, he hits his ace rag on the river pushes his last 50 on me and i end up doubling up basicly.

so im sitting with about 400 now, card dead.. for an hour and a half. i got a couple small pocket pairs, i limped or called a small raise to see a flop no sets for me, folded out. end up losing like 80 in chips just from blinds/limping. pick up ATs on the button, theres a 7$ raise, i call with 3 others. flop is 10 Q Q, so im thinkin this is pretty nice theres a 25$ raise, folds to me, i reraise to 60, guy calls. next card Q, now im sitting on a nice boat, guy bets 50, i call. next card is a king... so earlier in the hand in my mind for some reason i had a strong read on this guy for either AK or AQ since he rarely plays and when he has bet strong he either had that or a nice PP. now on this board TT isnt good, AK would be making a better full house, and AQ would have quads. so im sitting there with the lowest fullhouse, this guy bets 150.... i think for a good 2 minutes. i ask him, you gonna show me a king ? he goes i swear to god i dont have a king, the way he said this kind of put me off he seemed excited.. i just had a real bad feeling and i folded showing my AT

he flipped over AQ, quads

the table went nuts, guy next to me was like omg i wouldve pushed and had no stack left. i felt good only losing what i did on the hand, i feel most inexperienced players including myself about a month or 2 ago wouldve pushed there. i cant explain why i felt it wasnt good it was just one of those poker hunches you have to trust

so anyway that night i ended up being up only 100$ but up is up. i went last night around 8pm to the taj again, end up starting a new 1/2 table. the play is super tight early on cause everyone was like shy starting a new table i dont know it was weird. it was also weird that everyone at the table seemed to be under 25 except for like 2 people (im 22 btw). there were a few guys talking about "yeah im tight agressive" blah blah throwing some poker terms around in their chit chat but they seemed oblivious to reading anyones hand or how to properly play their own. i thank TV poker for this influx of young noobs lol. oh and also i found amusing a young "gangsta wannabe" lookin kid with a sideways hat, bought in with 100$ in white chips.. 5 stacks.. wtf?? anytime he called a raise it was basicly a whole stack haha the dealer just took his whites into her tray when he entered a pot and added reds thank god, who wants 50 white chips in front of them getting in the way?

so anyway the table is super tight for like 20 min then chips start shuffling around, the table gradually gets looser, i stole a few small pots with continuation bets. hit a KQ 2 pair on a button made like 50$ off it. no major action

Big Hand!! - i pickup QQ and for some reason i cant remember my position i think i was 1 off the button. anyway someone raises 10$, i call BB calls, 3 way pot. flop is 8h 9h 2s, UTG raise to 25$, call, i reraise to 100$ total. he thinks for a long time and calls, other guy insta calls. now im thinking to myself [censored] im [censored] beat, these guys are calling with aces, kings, 2 pair maybe? turn is a 5s, checks to me, i push my last 70$ i wasnt letting anyone get a free card and i was commited anyway lets do it. BB instacalls, other guy thinks and calls. now im ready to walk away from the table clearly thinking im beat here. turn is a 4d, blank card woo, they both check. i flip over QQ first, kind of unenthusiastic, guy to my left mucks... im thinking WTF??? then the asian guy sees my queens and goes , nice hand you got me.. im like is this real life? he flips over ace 9. im like floored i cant help but say out loud "are you [censored] kidding me i won??? hahaha i thought i was getting called by kings and aces" so ecstaticly i rake in this monster pot of over 600$ it takes me a full hand to finish stacking my monstrous stack. i stick around for another 15 or so hands but i felt it was a good time to leave and my gf was buggin me wanted me to stop there on the way home so i cash out up about 450$ for the night.

I just want to say thank you to the poker gods and to all the donks out there contributing money to my poker fund.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 AM

i like how you always put villains on AA/KK

god i wish this was a gimic/level
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he flipped over AQ, quads
the table went nuts, guy next to me was like omg i wouldve pushed and had no stack left. i felt good only losing what i did on the hand, i feel most inexperienced players including myself about a month or 2 ago wouldve pushed there. i cant explain why i felt it wasnt good it was just one of those poker hunches you have to trust

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call this a hunch, more of an easy fold.

You can only beat AJ and 99, not sure what hand he raised with preflop that he is still betting that you can beat.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Much congrats on your recent success, but I don't think you're as good as you think you are.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just want to say thank you to the poker gods and to all the donks out there contributing money to my poker fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

quit thanking us until you actually learn the game

- the poker gods
Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM

well i am aware i got lucky, i recently got unlucky though so i guess it evened out. both times i had a hand i raised preflop, got called by rags, and the rags of course had small stacks since they were playing rags and pushed on me on the flop, i had TpTk both times, and they outdrew me on the river 2 times in a row making 2 pair with Q5 and A2...

also i had to dip into my poker BR for real life happenings thus crippling my BR combined with my bad beats im back down to 200$ which is basicly 1 buy in. Hopefully i do good next time i go down or im waiting to save up a couple months for a real BR...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Much congrats on your recent success, but I don't think you're as good as you think you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i mean i know im better than the average player by far, i definately have some leaks in my game but i feel my main disadvantage is my limited bankroll. I would love to meet someone around the area who is grinding 1/2nl to mentor me but im better than my friends theyre all just casual players, and i dont trust anyone i actually meet IN the poker room.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM

Congrats on your success so far. As you have noticed the brick and mortar 1/2 games are ridiculously easy compared to online, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn still. The AT hand is a pretty standard laydown on the turn. You eventually got away, so thats good at least.
[ QUOTE ]
2 guys that are friends, seem to be on vacation both have about 450 in chips in front of them so they must be doin good taj only allows 300 max buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's funny that when people come to the table and see $450 in chips at a $300 max game, they assume that person is doing real well. If you see me with $450, you should assume I am up $150 at most, and if you see me with $300, then I am even at best. But don't tell the fishies out there that fear the bigger stack.
[ QUOTE ]
i went last night around 8pm to the taj again, end up starting a new 1/2 table. the play is super tight early on

[/ QUOTE ] This is normal for a new game. It sometimes takes a real long time for it to loosen up.
[ QUOTE ]
oh and also i found amusing a young "gangsta wannabe" lookin kid with a sideways hat, bought in with 100$ in white chips..

[/ QUOTE ] If in the first half hour of a 1/2 game you don't spot the guy who bought in for 100 or less with all white chips, then keep looking for the sucker....Okay that line doesn't flow so well, but these people are generally the fish of the table.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Dude, you should play at Caesar's instead of Taj. Cleaner, nicer room, better atmosphere, and even worse players, if you can imagine. I'll be there all weekend if you drop in, feel free to say hi. I should be in the 1/2 or 2/5 game. Young, red-headed kid wearing a black Georgetown hat.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

Hey guys, let him have some fun, reality will come crashing down soon enough.

Keep up the trip reports and don't let the haters get you down.