Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: List all things that make a home poker game good , or better

I think a good thing to have, if you have one, is a laptop with blinds timer, blind levels and whatever else it might show, software.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 PM

well honestly the Smokin thing is a must i mean i see alot of smokers pot/cigs only tho but not everyone will say no smoking cause my home poker will be watever u want to feel confy but thats just me
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well honestly the Smokin thing is a must i mean i see alot of smokers pot/cigs only tho but not everyone will say no smoking cause my home poker will be watever u want to feel confy but thats just me

[/ QUOTE ]

You're KILLING me with this continued gobblygook. Spend some time on these, add punctuation and spell check, or i SWEAR i'm gonna strangle you.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:12 PM

Please, explain to me why you won't leave me alone. Is it because I don't type proper like you? Are you mad? lmfao. I mean what do you want me to do. If this is it please let me know because im just commenting and you are just complaining. Im not sure i get why?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a good thing to have, if you have one, is a laptop with blinds timer, blind levels and whatever else it might show, software.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, if it's a home tournament, it is much more classy to have a laptop with The Tournament Director on it.

This is one poker blinds timer that I would pay for especially since it's much more than a blinds timer.

My buddy has this for his home tourneys and he even has a projector so it's displayed on his wall while we play. Tres cool.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Nice poker table.
2. Comfortable chairs.
3. Air conditioned room.
4. Quality chips.
5. Professional atmosphere ( no fooling around )
6. Food and drinks on demand.
7. Fishy, action players.
8. Good deck of cards.
9. Tv in same room ( watch games )
10. New players every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Not ABSOLUTELY necessary, but it certainly helps. Some of us don't have room for a real poker table, so we have to play in the dining room. When it's my turn to host, though, I have a poker table top I can put on the table that makes a big difference. For many games, this is more than sufficient.

2,3,4. Agreed

5. In a home game, there is nothing wrong with a little fun. Don't let things get out of hand, but there's no reason to go overboard with keeping things professional. After all, it IS a home game.

6. No, I will not feed everyone who comes to my game. I've done that before, and I try to have SOME snacks on hand, but my friends eat a lot. I'd have to win more than I do now to feed them every time.

7,8. Agreed

9. No TV in the poker room. It's too distracting, to the point of slowing down the game. Music is essential, though. And it's OK to have the game (football, baseball, etc) on in the other room.

10. New players every week? While that seems great, where do you expect to find all of these new players? Our games usually consist of the same four or five of us, with two or three floaters from a group of about six. That's good for a healthy win for me almost every time, so I don't complain.

And if you're going to play a tourney, appropriate TD software and a laptop is essential.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And if you're going to play a tourney, appropriate TD software and a laptop is essential.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao, absolutely NOT necessary [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 PM

The software and laptop are nice, but I agree, not essential. I play at tourneys with and without, and the ones without that are run well are just fine. Make sure you are organized or find someone who is.

Having the auto seat arrangements is great, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2007, 01:43 PM

A comment to all you anti-TV guys. I dare you to come to our Sunday afternoon tourney and try to turn off the NFL games.

Of course, there are zero newbies so the tourney doesn't slow down a bit.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao, absolutely NOT necessary [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine running a 30 person 3 table tourney without software to track it all. Of course I also keep stats on all the players / payouts / rebuys / placement, etc. But I'm sure it can be done so the software and laptop isn't essential, but it sure is convenient.