Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: PLO preflop strategy

the tournament level of play is really poor in some cases, there dont seem to be a lot of good multitablers in them as they dont run frequently and a lot of holdem players seem to be in there by accident.
my experience:
first hand of 20$ donkament with 30 players, 10 limpers, flop comes 557, 3 people all in, 2 of them with bare overpairs.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Pete, I think part of the problem is that neither of us writes detailed enough posts or replies in the first place. I didn't say that it was the best way. I just said the "2+2 standard" may not be the best way and a very little raise strategy could be made to work. I know, because that was how I used to play. Now was that the best way? A good way to play when I got to higher stakes? Or even how I would play now? The answer to all these is no. But the practical truth is you can make a lot of preflop styles work, depending on how you connect them through the rest of the streets. I saw successful players with hugely different styles, from Raefel to CHUFTY and a lot of very tight grinders.

gl

bdd
Old 08-27-2007, 12:30 PM

All Pete is saying is that we make money by inflating the pot with an edge, be it our cards, position, our superior postflop play, or all of the above.

Not doing so = not playing optimally = leaving EV on the table.

Therefore, while never raising may make the OP money (or the sample size may be too small), it certainly cannot be optimal and he is leaving EV on the table.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM

I think OP probably has the right strategy for SnGs since playing them in a risk-averse fashion allows you to cash often, especially when other players are shoving trash and playing terrible postflop. I think it's probably less optimal in MTTs, especially as you move into the latter stages, but is still probably a money-making strategy there as well, especially with the soft fields.

However, in a cash game where you can comfortably shove a 51/49 edge and make money on the transaction, it becomes very important to push small edges like having a solid PF hand and playing in position. To OP, if you're looking to play cash games, you're going to want to change your strategy dramatically, and start raising close to half of your playable hands. This will probably have an adjustment period as you'll have to deal with C-bet situations in HU pots, and a general higher level of postflop aggression as well, but it's the only way to achieve a high winrate in PLO cash games. (Note that I said high winrate, there are a few nits out there that can grind out 2 BB/100 or so with suboptimal strategies, but they're definitely not maximizing their earn.)
Old 08-27-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think OP probably has the right strategy for SnGs since playing them in a risk-averse fashion allows you to cash often, especially when other players are shoving trash and playing terrible postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could see this working early on at microstakes, but if OP is doing this at every stage of an SNG including the bubble, he's playing very bad for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, in a cash game where you can comfortably shove a 51/49 edge and make money on the transaction, it becomes very important to push small edges

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it? Do you think this is where successful PLO players find their edge?

[ QUOTE ]
and start raising close to half of your playable hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get this from?

gl

bdd