Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Good colleges for me?

No, I didn't go there, but I as I was looking into colleges, I was thinkin pretty hard about applying to McKenna and Pomona.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:49 PM

Yea I went to HMC (and took a handful of classes at McKenna and Pomona), and I can say it was pretty enjoyable. It is a little on the pricey side, but they're good schools, so I guess that's not unreasonable.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, I'm not sure of what I want to do yet. I'm leaning towards some sort of writing, but it's all hearsay right now. What I'm looking for right now is a good liberal arts school where I would be free to pick and choose my classes, and maybe wait a couple of semesters before choosing my major.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your test scores and GPA sound great (wtf is a 98?), but if you dont know excatly what you want to do, why not save a bundle of cash and attend a few semesters at a community college. This will give you time to figure out exactly what you want to do and where you want to be at a fraction of the cost. You are a smart kid and im sure your GPA there will be stellar so transferring will be a piece of cake. There are also a ton of transfer scholarships which are easy to qualify for. Did I mention that community college chicks are much hotter and easy to take advantage of then girls at liberal arts schools? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 PM

The schools you mentioned are universities, not liberal arts colleges in the common sense. And given the student body size you mentioned, I'm guessing you are looking for research universities with a liberal arts program.

My best advice is to cast a wide net. When I was applying to colleges, my search was geographically narrow. I applied to 5 schools in 2 states. While I'm happy with my alma mater, I should have applied to more schools and considered a broader range of locations.

It sounds like you are already considering applying to several places. Don't worry about not getting accepted. Apply to a few places you don't think you'll get into but are interested in attending. The cost is small, and the potential benefits are huge.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea I went to HMC (and took a handful of classes at McKenna and Pomona), and I can say it was pretty enjoyable. It is a little on the pricey side, but they're good schools, so I guess that's not unreasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pomona has lots of money to give students - 100% need based aid. And if you don't like their package you can always negotiate and give more. Once they give you an offer they are very good at working with you.

I paid very little to go there. Obviously if you have rich parents you will be paying more, but in that case it really won't matter either way.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your test scores and GPA sound great (wtf is a 98?), but if you dont know excatly what you want to do, why not save a bundle of cash and attend a few semesters at a community college. This will give you time to figure out exactly what you want to do and where you want to be at a fraction of the cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think going to community college will help him much. Many beginning college students don't know what they want to do and many others think the know what they want to do (e.g. pre-med) but end up changing their minds before they graduate. Liberal arts programs are structured to allow students to try a few different fields before deciding which one they will specialize in.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I didn't go there, but I as I was looking into colleges, I was thinkin pretty hard about applying to McKenna and Pomona.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad, I would have made sure you had gotten laid then.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 PM

Wake Forest
Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wake Forest

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Tim Duncan fan...

Edit: A 98 GPA is out of 100. A lot of high schools have done away with 4.0 GPA and gone to a regular 100 point system. Don't be impressed, I'm still only 40/320 in my class due to some pretty terrible grade inflation (myself a benefactor).
Old 06-19-2006, 09:09 PM

University of Illinois C/U ?

Its in Champaign, about 2 hours or so south of Chicago...highly populated campus, lots of specialized majors and some of the best programs in the country from a public school.