Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: $10/180: Holy Misplay Batman!

[ QUOTE ]
AceLuby - what's your reasoning for leading out with a donkbet - just that it's a wet board? Might it not be better to check-call the flop with the hopes of a big turn raise to any non-diamond or non-king?

[/ QUOTE ]

This line is weak as hell... By betting 2/3rds of the pot (donkbet? come on...) we are laying terrible odds to draws and we induce drawing hands to make a mistake because they will lose more $ in the long run, which means more $ for us. I'm also paying off QJ here pretty much all the time. Get your $ in when you have the best of it. If they catch, well you got it in good, c/c is a terrible line and will lose you way more $ in the long run.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Sorry - I meant no offense. In the small stakes forum, however, anyone who was not the preflop raiser and leads out with a flop bet is considered to have made a donkbet.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry - I meant no offense. In the small stakes forum, however, anyone who was not the preflop raiser and leads out with a flop bet is considered to have made a donkbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well here it's called betting w/ the best of it. Seriously though, we aren't deepstacked like we would be in a cash game and need to take more gambles. I'm finding some way to get chips in the middle and the best way to do so is to put them in myself.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM

I think people misapply the OOP thing. Who gives a [censored] if we're OOP with like a PSB bet left after re-raising? This is a tournament, not a cash game. The benefits of having position are way more important in deepstack poker than they are in these short stacked tourneys. There is no benefit of having position in this pot. There's only going to be flop play for the most part and all that will entail is pushing. Villain just put in a stupid min-raise and got a bunch of callers who can have anything. Calling is horrible here. You have to knock players with J3s out here. If villain raised to 3xbb from the CO and it was folded to you in the BB, a call would be fine under the right circumstances.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM

Lets look at it from this viewpoint:

Preflop: You have AQs, and call a raise. There are many players seeing the flop.

Flop is decent, but not something you want to get all your chips in with if someone shows extreme strength.

What is the best line?

1. c/r/c
2. b/f

I think it is fairly obvious that betting is the correct play in this situation. I seriously f'ed up by going for line #1 and I have no clue what I was thinking.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people misapply the OOP thing. Who gives a [censored] if we're OOP with like a PSB bet left after re-raising? This is a tournament, not a cash game. The benefits of having position are way more important in deepstack poker than they are in these short stacked tourneys. There is no benefit of having position in this pot. There's only going to be flop play for the most part and all that will entail is pushing. Villain just put in a stupid min-raise and got a bunch of callers who can have anything. Calling is horrible here. You have to knock players with J3s out here. If villain raised to 3xbb from the CO and it was folded to you in the BB, a call would be fine under the right circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's a mistake I think it's a small one. I don't mind calling here because we miss so often, and in low buy in tourneys a raise rarely thins the field. Maybe a push PF, but that seems like overkill. A post flop c/r anything but AI is bad IMO, and I prefer a lead w/ TPTK on a board that easily could be 2pr,str8 draw, flush draw, or a set. I don't mind taking it down right there.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:43 PM

"I'm also paying off QJ here pretty much all the time."

"We also get raised by KQ often enough to make it profitable."

Ace - aren't you at all worried about going broke here with TPTK and a starting M of 38?