Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: What ever happened to good manners and Class in poker?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a he-man woman-hater like most of this forum seems to be; but I don't think this post would exist if this incident had happened to a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it would.

Like I said in my original post, male or female (the outgoing player) it was just plain wrong.

While Kevin couldn't control his friends, IMO, what he did wrong was not saying a thing to them (or appologizing on their behalf since the only reason they were there was to support him), and letting the actions of his crew continue.

Where Kevin went wrong IMO, was that he didn't stand up for the busted out player, thus in effect condoning his crew's actions.

Also, too many ppl get drunk, and then use that as an excuse for their bad actions, simply because society gives them a 'pass' as soon as they hear they are drunk.

Perhaps if that pass was taken away, ppl might be more responsible in both their drinking and their actions.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I think it's important to differentiate between the antics of some railbirds and those playing. When security allows a bunch of drunks within arms reach of a table in such an important event, I think the story is the piss poor security.

Also, some are disputing the reported events and saying it was the crush of press that prevented her from leaving the table.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:27 PM

This style of celebration is embraced by the newer players and has infiltrated the highest levels.

Look just 3 years ago to when Scot Fischman won a hand HU against Jo Awada and his "crew" were going bananas at Scott's sick river suckout all whilst Joe sat there classily and stoicly. Why didn't anyone make a big deal of it then?

How about the 2004 main event, when that young Swedish [censored] ran around shouting "Yes Yes! Yes!" after winning a race to knock out Chris Ferguson?

The insanity and excesive celbration are now rewarded by the TV crews and producers who actually encourage it. Oh well. Witht he poker boom comes costs. One of those costs seems to be a rapid decline in class/decorum.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

While Kevin couldn't control his friends, IMO, what he did wrong was not saying a thing to them (or appologizing on their behalf since the only reason they were there was to support him), and letting the actions of his crew continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not like the guy's in a stress-free situation. It's unfortunate that he didn't say anything, but I find it hard to blame him for tunnel vision when he has just won a big pot and put a player out in the top 40 of the ME.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM

While I agree it was wrong, rude and inappropriate, you cannot honestly say that if it was a man that it would have been written up in the way it was.

It's BECAUSE she was a female that it was written the way it was, thus causing your reaction, which is just what the reporter wanted.

This is something that happens almost every day, in almost every tournament at one point or another.

T
Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 PM

It's the tournament director's fault. Fans, TV and press could care less about respect, manners, taste, decorum.

WSOP is a lame tournament, compared to say EPT Monte Carlo where the players get treated right.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's pretty rude, but they were drunk, and im not sure what Kevin could have done about it

[/ QUOTE ]

he could have told his friends to STFU as opposed to fist bumping with them.

douchebags and drunkards, whee.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:11 PM

that HO was trippin
Old 07-15-2007, 04:11 PM

It's like, whatever happened to predictability? The milkman, the paperboy, evening TV?

We need to go back to the days of Puggy Pearson pissing on dealers.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:12 PM

I missed it in the report, where does it say Kevin didnt apologize or ask his friends to tone it down?

I hope you arent assuming things and chastising someone without all the information.