Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: You have a dream...

Yeah, I get on the plane. I've enough problems convincing myself that it is still very unlikely there will be a crash on my flight even though there hasn't been a crash in a long while.

Actually, reading the posts on SMP has helped with that sort of thing. The logical thinking steps some guys show really help when working through irrational things like this.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM

So let me get this right, you have no prior knowledge of anybody on the flight, yet you vividly see a girls soccer team on the same flight as you and the plane crashed.

I do not get on the plane, and I do not regret if the plane does not crash.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So let me get this right, you have no prior knowledge of anybody on the flight, yet you vividly see a girls soccer team on the same flight as you and the plane crashed.

I do not get on the plane, and I do not regret if the plane does not crash.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of these 'experiences' are like prophecies, vague in the original, specific in the actual, and the two made to merge by our hopped up minds.

If a person woke up and wrote down very clear and specific facts from their dream, then you would have sometthing to compare it to later. "girls soccer team" won't cut it by far.

"There was a tall blond girl with the number 32 top, holding both hands against the ears of a short,fat brunette with a red sock and a blue sock, standing on a 40 sqft platform against a blue/white striped wall"
that sort of thing. Stuff you would know from a vivid dream.

otherwise, you simply fit the vagueness of the dream to the exactness of the visual experience and 'remember' it that way. We do versions of this all the time, switching memories, combining memories, even stealing anothers memory.

luckyme
Old 03-22-2007, 02:11 PM

This happened to your roommate or to a character in one of the Final Destination movies?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened last week to my roommate.

You have a dream where you die in a plane crash and the most specific thing you remember about the dream is that there was a girls soccer team on the plane as it went down. You have a flight to catch that day, and describe your dream to the person dropping you off at the airport. When you get to your gate there is a girls soccer team waiting for the same flight as you. Who gets on that plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a classic Seinfeld episode where George accompanies Elaine to a psychic and the psychic alludes that George’s life is in danger. George gives his plane ticket to Kramer, who go’s on to have the time of his life - playing beach volley ball with topless swimsuit models and then dating one of the models.

So, yeah, if I saw I was going to be on a plane with a girls soccer team, the thought of romance would supersede any other thought in my head. But then, I’ve always been reckless in that regard.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You have a dream where you die in a plane crash and the most specific thing you remember about the dream is that there was a girls soccer team on the plane as it went down. You have a flight to catch that day, and describe your dream to the person dropping you off at the airport. When you get to your gate there is a girls soccer team waiting for the same flight as you. Who gets on that plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dream was wrong...it was the girls soccer team that went down....not the plane. Ohhhh this is gonna be a great flight. Be gentle with me girls, I can only handle 3 or 4 at a time. Will this get me in the Mile High Club?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. And hope to add another notch to my mile high club membership!

Here's a better question....

Would you be willing to back a poker player who would NOT get on the plane?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a better question....

Would you be willing to back a poker player who would NOT get on the plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be as connected as it seems.
It's one thing to think some force ( god, fate, etc) wants to kill you, it's another to think it gives a [censored] about the next card being dealt.

A belief in premonitions of various types may not help your game any but many good poker players have some superstitions and it's not enough of a impediment to turn them into losers. At certain times, beliefs in strange goings-on could work in your favor ( giving you courage or making you back off at the right time). It's not an automatic negative.
It may even be the way that you manifest deeper awareness that you have of a situation. Not playing strongly against someone who is 'running hot' may keep you away from a player who is going to be tough to put a play on, for example.

luckyme
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm sure you're right, since I know some winning players who possess superstitions. However, I think they win despite this logical handicap and cetrtainly not because of it. It's possible it gives them an accidental advantage in certain situations as you suggest.

All else being equal, I'd much rather back someone who doesn't believe in superstitious nonsense.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Flee at last

[ QUOTE ]

You have a dream where you die in a plane crash and the most specific thing you remember about the dream is that there was a girls soccer team on the plane as it went down. You have a flight to catch that day, and describe your dream to the person dropping you off at the airport. When you get to your gate there is a girls soccer team waiting for the same flight as you.
Who gets on that plane?

[/ QUOTE ]Don't get on that plane.

In case the plane does not go down, you should take that outcome seriously into account. In case the plane does go down, what can I tell you.

Mickey Brausch