Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Eyes Wide Shut.......What Does It All Mean???

Yes, good, dream film. If there was anything I got out of the film, it was a sense of surreality (or unreality?)
Old 08-12-2006, 05:16 AM

I didn't understand it nor do I still. Like Waking Life, this is another film that's dreamlike... prolly this is more like Mulholland Dr. BTW, the puzzle and symbolism in that film is really crazy. I didn't see it, but a friend pointed out to me that basically the first 2/3s was a dream where as the last 1/3 after the locked box is opened was "reality". Very interesting.

I like puzzles.

W/ EWS, a film teacher told me something. He said that the film was an antihero's descent into hell. It makes sense. Also, another poster in this forum said that the title of the book and the film was the best clue. Eyes Wide Shut suggests eyes are closed and this could possibly be a dream, not just someone going through life w/ their eyes closed.

After all, wouldn't it be a nightmare if you lived a few days like that. The masks, dying hooker, etc.

As for the sex scene w/ the masked group, it's derived from a group in Da Vinci Code. If you haven't read that cultural phenomenon by now, please do so. Of course, the book is better than the film.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:06 AM

hmm comparison to mulholland dr. I don't think they're close. ews I think has a concrete plot. m dr doesn't even have that. I'm a huge lynch fan but I think m dr is much more of a wtf is this puzzle than ews. ews the debate is about the meaning of the plot. m dr the debate is about wtf the plot even is. and m dr is the most accessible lynch movie except for maybe blue velvet ("heiniken? heiniken is sh1t!")

there is no comparison between the two.

[censored]. I need to own m dr. such a great conversation piece. if it weren't 5am and I were sober I'd go buy it right now along with blue velvet and lost highway. lynch is right there with miike in terms of movies that make no sense but provide great conversation. but m dr doesn't compare to ews in any way shae or form.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if it weren't 5am and I were sober I'd go buy it right now along with blue velvet and lost highway. lynch is right there with miike in terms of movies that make no sense but provide great conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You work long hours! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS diebitter, I hope one liners are ok sometimes! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 AM

The movie was indeed enigmatic. It was also beyond horrible. Poorly paced and amateurishly acted. Boring beyond toleration. The "music" was particularly annoying. Had . . . Nicole . . . .Kidman . . . . not . . . . spoken . . . . like . . . . this . . . . it . . . . could . . . . have . . . . . been . . . . a . . .. half . . . . . hour . . . . . shorter. Speaking slowly does not denote gravitas.

People booed in the theater when it ended. Had a less famous name than Kubrick made it, it would have been long forgotten. I'm a fan of movies that are not necessarily coherent and leave a lot up to the viewer; The Third Man, for example, has long been a favorite of mine. But this was just a piece of vulgar and insipid trash, fueled by the massive egos and off-kilter minds of Kubrick and Cruise. I remember the publicity stressed that Nicole Kidman has picked out books for their aprarmtent libary from her own books collection. Whoop-dee-do.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:22 AM

"a difficult book to describe -- what good book isn't?"

No good book. This is a good summary of why the movie stinks.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 AM

I think that's what particularly disgusted me about the film, that Kubrick obviously felt that such things are normalcy and that our everyday world is completely contrived. What hogwash. He had Sidney Pollack, in a particularly poorly acted scene with the pool table (I think Pollack had to come in when the originally signed actor pulled out), "explain" things to Cruise.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:30 AM

"The score is brilliant."

"Score"? I can play "E" and "F" on the piano and change the octave. I used to do it when I was three years old.

My apologies to all in this thread if I'm coming across as condescending. I'm not attacking you, just the movie.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boring beyond toleration

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my only recollection of it.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"The score is brilliant."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Score"? I can play "E" and "F" on the piano and change the octave. I used to do it when I was three years old.

[/ QUOTE ] Come on, that's what they have been saying about abstract painting for almost a century!

Can you play John Cage's 3'33" ? Bet you can't. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mickey Brausch