Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: enduring temporary, but excruciating, pain

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My first instinct is to say that enduring such a torture would be a positive life experience, to strengthen our minds against pain, and very applicable to the training of soldiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's much more likely to make you hyper sensitive to pain for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enduring massive pain doesn't do this at all. It makes minor pains seem even less so, even unnoticeable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have experience with this?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know no one will agree with me, but pain is a state of mind you can get passed it "transcend it", 2 weeks is a long time, but if the price was right Id go through with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to agree.

[ QUOTE ]
I think there are very few things that would make me prefer death

[/ QUOTE ]I do think you are underestimating the type of pain I am discussing. Pain that is so great that you would gladly end your life to make it stop. And you can't.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My first instinct is to say that enduring such a torture would be a positive life experience, to strengthen our minds against pain, and very applicable to the training of soldiers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's much more likely to make you hyper sensitive to pain for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Enduring massive pain doesn't do this at all. It makes minor pains seem even less so, even unnoticeable.

[/ QUOTE ]

speaking from experience?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:41 PM

One life situation which kinda sorta runs parallel to this - I spent a night in jail when I was picked up for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct (pled not guilty to both, thats a trip report for another time, when it is finally resolved).

I was in my own cell. They took my overshirt, I had an undershirt and jeans. There was a single bright light, and a single cold, plastic mattress. I didn't sleep a wink, and it was the longest 10 hours of my life, it lasted an eternity. It seemed like a dream when it was over - its like my life spliced right around it, like you cut that part out and taped the day before to the next day and skipped over it.

And there was no pain in that.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have experience with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, twice. Two completely different kinds of pain too.

I amputated three fingers and had them reconstructed.

I also had a herniated disc in my low back, anyone that's had one knows that it's beyond excruciating.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know no one will agree with me, but pain is a state of mind you can get passed it "transcend it", 2 weeks is a long time, but if the price was right Id go through with it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to agree.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I do think you are underestimating the type of pain I am discussing. Pain that is so great that you would gladly end your life to make it stop. And you can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think that pain is a "tangible" thing. Or at least you cant measure it, if this is purely hypothetical/limited to what is in the OP, and you guarantee that you actually will feel the pain, than I change my answer, but if you are talking about a real life situation, Im of the mindset that anything that happens you can get your mind passed it.

a good example is what someone posted earlier about heroin withdrawal, anecdotal evidence says that it is worse than death in some cases, but if it really was would you really want to go through it again? yet, most users relapse and go through the whole thing again
Old 08-26-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to agree.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't want to end my life, but I begged the docs to cut off my whole hand and stop trying to save my fingers.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:53 PM

I'd agree that you have experienced this pain.

If the doctors were bound (legally or morally or otherwise) to obey your command, would you have still told them to abort the operation by amputating the hand? Knowing full well that if you stick it out, you will be fine?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Okay, you guys are way underestimating the psychological damage 2 weeks of non-stop super pain would cause. PTSD would be the absolute best possible scenario. A serious psychological break with reality seems a lot more likely. Basically, you would never be the same again. I guess if you were somehow really lucky you'd only be conscious for about an hour, but that seems contrary to the OP's scenario.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Well, I'm fabricating this - suppose they limited the pain to the threshold of consciousness.