Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Buying in short to play within roll?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi there.
I have recently suffered a pretty serious blow to my roll [rivered; rivered; tilt; tilt, long boring story], and dropping down a level is not really an option [I play party, and the lowest 6max stakes are $25, have no intention of playing FR].

My roll after the recent bad run is $315, pretty seriously under-rolled for NL25.

WHat are your thoughts on buying in short, with say $20, or less, until my roll recovers, to compensate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either beat up on the NL10 full ringers until you get back to 500. Can do that in 2 full days 10 tabling, or short stack the 50 game.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 AM

go to Ipoker would be my first chioce I think they have as low as $5 buy in nl games and absolute has $10 nl games where min is 50bbs and max is 200 bbs
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 PM

$315 is not terribly underrolled at 25NL. In games this soft, some players can get away with a BR that is less than the standard. Gotta stop the tilting, obv. I would play with this roll, and if you do go busto, rebuy somewhere that has 10NL.

Shortstacking 25NL does not sound good. The shorter you play, the more EV you give up vs. bad players. So playing shorter causes your maximum potential winrate to be lower. Your winrate at NL $25 is already low enough in dollars that shortstacking these stakes just really seems like a waste of time to me. Also, variance tends to be higher when playing short, and you will have to make the right adjustments to your game to play short effectively. Just play 25NL, full buy in.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:08 PM

play sitngoes, get a bigger roll, play nl25 with a good roll, profit?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:31 PM

'$315 is not terribly underrolled at 25NL. In games this soft, some players can get away with a BR that is less than the standard. Gotta stop the tilting, obv.'

Er yes -those players that have proved they are far too good for the level. Just because you or I would feel comfortable with 10BI's at $25NL doesn't mean OP should. When I first started out I hit a 28 BI downswing at $25NL, which is easily the worst I have ever had (Thank God!)

'I would play with this roll, and if you do go busto, rebuy somewhere that has 10NL.'

I would learn good bankroll discipline from the off. Running a significant risk of ruin thoughout your poker career will get you busted one day, and if you are unlucky it will be at higher stakes than 10c/25c.

'Shortstacking 25NL does not sound good. The shorter you play, the more EV you give up vs. bad players. So playing shorter causes your maximum potential winrate to be lower. Your winrate at NL $25 is already low enough in dollars that shortstacking these stakes just really seems like a waste of time to me.'

Absolute $$ is irrelevant. If $315 is your entire roll then
you should be playing the $10 tables. You can earn more playing the $25's short then that is certainly an option worth looking at.

'Also, variance tends to be higher when playing short, and you will have to make the right adjustments to your game to play short effectively.'

SD/100 is much lower when shortstacking (for true shortstackers - ie 20BB's - typically under 30). Sure you have a much bigger chance of losing your stack/doubling up but it's only 1/5th as much either way. The swings and risk of ruin playing short are much less than playing full stacked as anyone with basic maths skills/common sense can see.

'Just play 25NL, full buy in.'

Play 25NL, short buy in.

Actually here we aren 't really talking about true shortstacking - just buying in for 80BB which in almsot all circumtances is going to make very little difference to your potential win rate.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Thanks for all of the comments above.
It seems to me that there is no real reason not to buy in at 65BB until I rebuild my roll.
Am not at all keen on shortstacking, since I have spewed fountains of abuse at shortstackers over the last four months, and feel that more than one at a table wrecks a game, not something I am going to do.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play sitngoes , get a bigger roll, play nl25 with a good roll, profit?

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, FYI, the SNG forum recommend a 100 buy in bankroll for SNG's!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM

no, the SNG forum does not recommend a 1,000 buy-in bankroll for SNGs.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no, the SNG forum does not recommend a 1,000 buy-in bankroll for SNGs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct, I apologise, that is 100 buyins.
Still well above my roll if I play 11's.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM

the 100 buyin roll recommendation primarily applies to people who are playing large volumes of these things for a living with no means of re-depositing.

if i knew i was a winning player, i'd feel very comfortable playing on 30 or so buy-ins to start off.

in addition, party has $3.40 sngs now too, so you may wish to play them. or move to stars for some microlimit action.

either way, it's a fairly marginal decision anyway - like, whatever you decide is not going to make a huge difference either way to your likely end result.