Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: The Well: cmyr

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things I've found that has helped me to focus is to set goals (be it hands played in a week, setting time limits, win money for something I want to buy). What are some goals you have set for yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

I set some long term goals ($ I want to make this year etc) and I tend to set loose bankroll goals (I want to have 100bi for 5-10 by the end of the summer) but the nature of variance makes poker goals very fickle things, and I don't let myself get too discouraged when they aren't achieved. I've also found that goals like "play 2k hands today" or "play 6 hours a day 6 days a week" are generally -ev, since (for instance) that last 500 hands I play I have a negative expectation because I'm distracted and bored.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll let you know tomorrow.

I'm going to go to bed nowish, but I'll pick this up tomorrow morning/afternoon sometime.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:01 AM

While you were moving up in stakes did you find your style of play changing? Im at 50max right now and I've started to play a little more passively preflop due to the sheer number of players calling preflop and pushing with anything that hits. However I'm pretty sure at the higher stakes you need to play more aggressivly to beat the game.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:37 AM

cmyr - Is there anything you consider your most important or most significant poker achievement? If so, what?

Buzz
Old 08-19-2007, 01:47 AM

Is that you in your avatar?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-19-2007, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, I was going to ask the same thing, is that ugly mug in your avatar you?

Also: Your profile lists your occupation as "student" - how old are you and did you graduate?

Do you see poker as an honourable profession?

Do you think you could earn more money doing something else?

Do you get nervous before sessions?

Do you enjoy playing or is it like hard work?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:44 AM

what do you think was the single most important factor in your development as a poker player?

Your single most memorable hand ever played?

What were the most important changes/adjustments you had to make in your game as you moved from 1/2 ->2/4, and 2/4 ->5/10?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While you were moving up in stakes did you find your style of play changing? Im at 50max right now and I've started to play a little more passively preflop due to the sheer number of players calling preflop and pushing with anything that hits. However I'm pretty sure at the higher stakes you need to play more aggressivly to beat the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was playing .10-.25 trough .5-1, (fullring, at partypoker) I was probably playing 25/8/2ish. I didn't really cbet, and I mostly played the nuts. As I moved to short-handed and started playing higher cbets became really important, and my aggression moved up to like 4.5ish, where it is today. When I have position, I'm much more willing now to float or bluff raise the flop, or to c/r air hu oop and little plays like that. I'm also much more willing to threebet marginal dst type hands since I know I'll win most pots uncontested on the flop, and occassionally I'll hit a flop hard and win a big pot.

I think alot of your earn in higher stakes PLO is the pots you win through the juice of being the preflop aggressor, and my preflop game has really changed.

I still have trouble adjusting to games you describe, where you will have three or four callers preflop every hand. I think the correct strategy in these sorts of games is to raise smaller with any hand that can hit a flop hard, but to stop betting flops marginally at all, and play patiently. You can't run over calling stations that well, you need to showdown hands.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cmyr - Is there anything you consider your most important or most significant poker achievement? If so, what?

Buzz

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing poker 'for a living' one summer when I was off from college... I had my rent paid through the month, about $200 cash, $500 room on my visa, and a $2k bankroll... I knew there was a decent chance I'd go broke, but I also thought it was an interesting opportunity to try something new. I started playing .25-.5 on party and slowly made my way up to 1-2 by the end of the summer, and didn't go broke. Being able to accomplish that was a big boost for me, and convinced me that my poker-related dreams could be realized if I worked at them.

There are a few other little things I'm proud of... I've made it up into what were the biggest games running when I started playing, which always felt impossibly far away, and that's cool... I also went down to the wsop this summer which was a sort of running joke-goal for quite a while, and it was nice to realize that.