Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: My PLO strategy...

[ QUOTE ]
Ok...so lets assume I am a nit and play only good cards/situations. Assume I have played about 5000 hands of mid stakes plo online and have broken even..should I play the $10,000 plo event at the wsop, as in will it be +ev, even in the slightest?

[/ QUOTE ]

The absolute most important thing about tournaments that differs from cash games is that at some point you are going to have to deal with a situation that is out of your control. For example, I like full ring games although I do great at 6 handed as well. If I intend to maximise my EV, I also need to be great at shorthanded play, as inevitably i'm going to find myself 4 handed then heads up if I want to win the tournament.
Understand how the hand rankings change as the number of players changes is a lot more challenging in omaha than in holdem.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:27 PM

The other thing to consider is that even in a deep stack tourney, you will eventually become involved in shortstack, relative to cash game, situations. As far as shorthanded, the value of hands such as qqss and double suited hands goes up a lot since the chances of opponent having nut flush hu is much lower that 3-4 to flop scenario.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok...so lets assume I am a nit and play only good cards/situations. Assume I have played about 5000 hands of mid stakes plo online and have broken even..should I play the $10,000 plo event at the wsop, as in will it be +ev, even in the slightest?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, but if you stake me I'll fly down and play it for you, which would be a whole truck-full of EV...
Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure, I am worried this might be quite tough. The 5k rebuy attracted a lot of "name" players and Omaha regulars, especially the ones who have some kind of clue. I don't know any huge fish who are planning to play.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:11 PM

Think "how many ways can this hand make the nuts, especially with redraws?" In a loose/idiot game, I'd play suited aces, high pairs, and 5689 type of hands. Bet or raise pot when you have nuts or a solid combo draw, fold otherwise, ship me 25% of the profit. Naked aces suck, try to limp/RR if you can get in half your stack.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:34 PM

I think the Lawson effect will be fully in play and there will be tons of donktards.