Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Question: Ring vs Tournament Player

I mostly play SNGs, and you get a lot of players whose style would be a lot better suited to cash. At a low limit, it's not hurting them enough to make them losing players, but I think at higher limits, it would. On the other hand, anyone good enough to win cash at a higher limit should be cluey enough to adapt their game, whereas lower-limit players maybe aren't.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Hypothetical Question: Ring vs Tournament Player

[ QUOTE ]

While there are some differences between NL cash games and tournaments, this may not be behind most of those statements. Historically, when people said that, there were few NL ring games. People were talking about players who played well in NL tournaments, and poorly in limit ring games.

In limit, the bets are smaller, the hand evaluations are different, and you can't make up for playing badly on hand after hand with one good play. Many tournament players would get bored and try to outplay people with weak hands, but it's very hard to make up for poor preflop hand selection, and it's hard to steal a pot when people are usually getting great odds to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually used to see this in my B&M days. I never understood it because most of these guys played limit hold-em tourneys as well, which were much more popular than NL tourneys at the time.