Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: I reformat my computer every three months...

[ QUOTE ]
Being in IT for over ten years, you are nuts.

Why would you want to do that?

Why don't you just get a PC and keep it in check, install latest updates and latest antivirus (Windows Defender, NOD32, Kaspersky) definitions, use a hardware firewall (router configured properly). Use CAT5 instead of WLAN and keep everything up to date.

EVEN THEN, you are not always safe. Believe me.

If you are constantly reformatting your computer, you are setting back all updates, all configurations and tweaks.

If you are really that crazy, make a ghost of your initial setup (all software, latest updates, definitions) and just swap when needed. Please use google to find more about GHOSTING.

[/ QUOTE ]

telling a lot of people how to do all of that is harder a lot of the time. formating is helpful for a lot of people that cant figure out how to do this.

I got tired of constantly updating my families system so i showed them how to do this. And i am no longer providing constant tech support
Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being in IT for over ten years, you are nuts.

Why would you want to do that?

Why don't you just get a PC and keep it in check, install latest updates and latest antivirus (Windows Defender, NOD32, Kaspersky) definitions, use a hardware firewall (router configured properly). Use CAT5 instead of WLAN and keep everything up to date.

EVEN THEN, you are not always safe. Believe me.

If you are constantly reformatting your computer, you are setting back all updates, all configurations and tweaks.

If you are really that crazy, make a ghost of your initial setup (all software, latest updates, definitions) and just swap when needed. Please use google to find more about GHOSTING.

[/ QUOTE ]

telling a lot of people how to do all of that is harder a lot of the time. formating is helpful for a lot of people that cant figure out how to do this.

I got tired of constantly updating my families system so i showed them how to do this. And i am no longer providing constant tech support

[/ QUOTE ]

Formatting will open tons of security holes on the computer. Windows XP or Vista CDs, do not come updated unless you slipstream your install, and I doubt he will be able to do that.

Therefore, I would recommend to reformat for the last time, then:

1. Install ALL patches and latest updates. Start > Windows Update
2. Have latest Antivirus software (NOD32, Trend Micro, Pc-Cillin or Kaspersky).
3. Have a running copy of Windows Defender (gets latest definition from WIndows update aka STEP 1)
4. Have a hardware firewall. Most Linksys routers provide a hardware firewall if configured properly. Enable firewall, Disable DMZ, etc. (You learned how to count odds, now read some tutorials on home router configurations).
5. Install a copy of SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware.
6. Use Ethernet instead of WLAN unless you are using WPA2.

Enjoy.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:21 PM

How the hell does reformatting your PC reguarly help your computer security?

I don't understand even the thinking behind this.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell does reformatting your PC reguarly help your computer security?

I don't understand even the thinking behind this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure he thinks (and nobody is knocking on him) that formatting every 3 months will potentially remove keyloggers and backdoors from his machine.

Here is why this thinking is flawed:

1. He will restore his computer to an older state and open security threats that have been patched.
2. If an attacker already dropped off a trojan, backdoor or a keylogger, he will not wait 30 days to act, he will act at the earliest convenience and compromise all your account as needed.

Therefore, formatting does nothing unless you were already hacked.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:28 PM

By the way, I hope you do not reformat to Vista.

I would not use that. Stick to WIN2K or XP PRO only.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:30 PM

The safest way to protect your poker information is to have a computer that you ONLY use for playing poker. You'll still need to use a firewall, of course.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 PM

A great HP laptop can now be bought for ~$600. Invest...
Old 07-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Every three months? At least use an image of a clean drive to save you a ton of time.

I use a mobile rack. It's a rack that fits in a 5.25 bay, and you can swap out hard drives. It's like $40 and it is essentially like using a seperate computer, but you have the added benefit of locking or taking the poker hard drive wherever you want.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Every three months? At least use an image of a clean drive to save you a ton of time.

I use a mobile rack. It's a rack that fits in a 5.25 bay, and you can swap out hard drives. It's like $40 and it is essentially like using a seperate computer, but you have the added benefit of locking or taking the poker hard drive wherever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, you have it RAID? I got a Silicon Image 4 bay hot swap on my server. Bad ass. Mirror and voila.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:02 AM

Sir, that is very silly. Its obvious you are running on Windows. Now obviously poker clients only run on windows based machines. You can still run them with emulation on the new intel based MACs.

Have you looked on Tigerdirect? They have refurbished PCs, fully loaded for $200. Its obvious you just need a seperate machine.