Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: What Of People Who Start Smoking Now

[ QUOTE ]
what if someone believes that the high they get from smoking is worth the chance of cancer

[/ QUOTE ]

Cancer's a price I'm willing to gamble on as a heavy smoker. Pain don't hurt, goes the movie line.

We all die anyway, at least once. Having that choice is vital for freedom.

I know it's a nasty habit, etc., etc. but I love smoking and not just for the high of nicotine. It's a gamble and my last vice. I think I'll keep it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's a nasty habit, etc., etc. but I love smoking and not just for the high of nicotine. It's a gamble and my last vice. I think I'll keep it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should you smoke around others that do not smoke you should be tried for attempted murder. But if you dont care about yourself why would you care about others? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

pokervintage
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM

those people should be thanking him for the free smoke.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they get lung cancer should people view them the same way as those few who get lung cancer through no fault of their own?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Why is this an interesting question?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know it's a nasty habit, etc., etc. but I love smoking and not just for the high of nicotine. It's a gamble and my last vice. I think I'll keep it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should you smoke around others that do not smoke you should be tried for attempted murder. But if you dont care about yourself why would you care about others? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

pokervintage

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly you dont mean attempted murder.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
should people view them the same way

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understand what these sorts of phrases mean.

Personally I doubt I would bother to make the distinction. I also doubt think any individual “should” react in any particular way, but if they want to do so that fine with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my feeling. I tend to like smokers better, just because they seem less judgmental in general. Er, see chezlaw's post - that's what I mean.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Should you smoke around others that do not smoke you should be tried for attempted murder. But if you dont care about yourself why would you care about others?

[/ QUOTE ] Certainly you dont mean attempted murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps not attempted murder, but surely, Vhawk, you would agree, that a non-smoker should be able to sue a smoker for damages to his health.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:17 AM

well there's a clear legal parallel.

things you buy new you have all sort of legal entitlements, like it actually doing what it's supposed to do, and the seller assumes all risk of defective product.

things you buy used and marked "as is" or something the buyer assumes all risk of faulty or nonfunctioning product.

so if you take the "health consequences of smoking", I would say that by this point in time it's "as is", and the consumer assumes all risk.

an argument anyway.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well there's a clear legal parallel.

things you buy new you have all sort of legal entitlements, like it actually doing what it's supposed to do, and the seller assumes all risk of defective product.

things you buy used and marked "as is" or something the buyer assumes all risk of faulty or nonfunctioning product.

so if you take the "health consequences of smoking", I would say that by this point in time it's "as is", and the consumer assumes all risk.

an argument anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read a couple times of health treatment ( surgery?) being denied in britan because the patient was a smoker. Not sure how true or how widespread the notion is.

luckyme
Old 11-11-2007, 04:21 AM

Should the guy who gets shoved in front of the subway train be viewed the same as the guy who jumps in front of the subway train and suffers the same injuries?