Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: My big problem

[ QUOTE ]
Thats a long ass hot streak. My ROI has never been below 28% until this past month, and ive been playin a long time.

And I understand the need to steal blinds, but with what frequency. If im in push or fold mode the entire time i have 1400-2000 chips at 100/200 blinds, im gonna get smoked. Frequency of pushes has a ton to do with this. I know there are calculators out there where you can give a range and see if a push is profitable, but this does not take into account how many times youve raised already. Also,by being the person shoving all the time i dont give the other players many chances to bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you've shoved a lot, their calling ranges will have loosened, so change them and check if it's still profitable or not. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 07:57 AM

None of this takes into account the fact that YOURE the one doing all the risk taking. I would love to see 3 players around me making all the right ICM pushes and calls because it would allow me to sit back and wait til one busts.

As Sklansky said, "a good bet is NOT a good bet if it prevents you from making a better one later."
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM

You asked for advice, you got it. Up to you what you do with it. If you played well before and like crap after, you should be able to work out what went wrong all by yourself.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 AM

Thank you. Gonna start saving some histories and play around with the ICM concept, which I have some internal understanding of from playing for long enough but have never directly calculated. Was just looking for more input as this only addresses push or fold decisions, but hopefully there will be more responses by next time i sign on. Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 AM

If the blinds are 100/200 and my stack is 1400-2000, there is nothing to do but push or fold. It really is as simple as that. Look for the right opportunity and push it (tight blinds, everyone folds to you in the SB). Your cards don't matter at this point, just pretend they are not even there. Pick a good spot and go. Also, I'm much more inclined to push 78's than A3. At least if I get called I have 2 live cards.

And sure, sometimes you are going to get called when you have 72o by someone with a big hand, but that's just poker. You have to keep in mind all the extra chips you are picking up during the process, and hopefully when someone does call with a big hand, even if you lose you still have some pushing chips cause you've been robbing them blind!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 AM

and it also happens to be funny when you suck out for once on the big hands :P makes it better when there like "f*** this is just riverstars" lol. bit if its the right push and they wake up with a hand meh watever trevor !
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think I like the push or fold logic in a SnG, though i think its absolutely correct in a MTT setting where the payouts for the top places mean taking races to put yourself in position to win. In a SnG, the payout is the same from 4th to 3rd as 2nd to 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very, very, very, very wrong. Until you understand why you will be having a lot of problems.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 AM

i don't see how you can declare yourself one of the most successful Pokerstars $10 sng players then ask such basic strategy questions

Either a) you've just been very lucky up unitl now
or more likely b)you've just had a bit of a bad run and youre getting frustrated

If you really have a successful game i wouldnt have thought trying new things would be a good idea
Old 07-07-2007, 10:52 AM

ICM- learn it, eat it, breathe it, sleep with calculations dancing in your head.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:33 AM

It sounds to me like you are playing too carefully/passively. by shoving those hands you are flat raising with you are gauranteeing yourself a chance to see all 5 cards and double up or knock out an opponent in alot of 60/40 situations. Being afraid to shove with 8-12 BBs at low level sngs imo is a mistake. Players at these low levels inherently tighten up from my experience when the blinds hit 75/150 and 100/200ish and will bend to your will for a few orbits until they get angry that ur raising so much, then you'll of course have to fold away some hands u were raising with for table image purposes. umm other than that cancel all weekend plans and study ICM.