Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Bankroll for full time play

My new thing is to have a separate roll for each site, pokerstars and full tilt. which i also draw off to live on.........i only feel like i need roughly 20BI per site for my level, and I also play some MTTs....I have a feeling though as I move up in stakes I'm going to want to have more BI's per site.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 AM

I see you've thought it through. I'm not going to dissuade you.

Chen's suggestion is to figure out how much you are going to withdraw then subtract that from your winrate and calculate your Risk of Ruin using the second number.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I see you've thought it through. I'm not going to dissuade you.

Chen's suggestion is to figure out how much you are going to withdraw then subtract that from your winrate and calculate your Risk of Ruin using the second number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do understand people's eyebrow raising when someone mentions about going pro. For me going pro is not something I woke up with 1 morning and I did off the cuff, it's been a gradual enough process... anyway...

Yeah I read the part about subtracting your withdrawls from your win rate. On a positive note If I can play enough hands my rakeback alone should make this subtraction quite small if anything. I'll need to estimate my monthly rakeback to be sure. Specifically what I haven't figured out yet is how to input the various variables into Chen's RoRU formula and I'm an ex Mathematics graduate (long time ago mind so i'm rusty [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]), I think I might have to read through more of the book to understand the formula better. If anyone can give a practical example of inputting the win rates, standard deviation and hands played into an equation that would be great.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Question for ppl using a 20bi Roll.....How many bi's do u have to lose to move down???? how many bi's till u take a shot at the next level and i take it you never play tourneys???
Old 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM

i've been playing full-time for close to two years, first sng's and now cash. fwiw, this year i've averaged 525 hands / hour, usually 6 tabling, at 23 hours/week for about 50k hands / month. if i were you i'd be focusing on learning to play more tables right now, not moving up. i'm a huge table selection nit but sometimes you have to suck it up and play a so-so table.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Don't set your goal in terms of hands.

Set your goal in terms of hours. During those hours play how every many tables you think maximizes your hourly while not prematurely inducing burnout.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Don't set your goal in terms of hands.

Set your goal in terms of hours. During those hours play how every many tables you think maximizes your hourly while not prematurely inducing burnout.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
i've been playing full-time for close to two years, first sng's and now cash. fwiw, this year i've averaged 525 hands / hour, usually 6 tabling, at 23 hours/week for about 50k hands / month. if i were you i'd be focusing on learning to play more tables right now, not moving up. i'm a huge table selection nit but sometimes you have to suck it up and play a so-so table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'll take these two pieces of advice on board. I think I'll set a target of a minimum of 40 hours a week. I'll probably play more sngs instead of cash as I would feel more confident that I can play more than 4 tables without my game deteriorating significantly. perhaps when I get used to playing 7 or 8 sng tables I might find it easier to do likewise in cash.

Meanwhile thanks everyone for all the advice. don't suppose anyone has worked out that RorU formula [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]