Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 08:04 AM

Default Re: When a resteal goes bad

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Semantics. This isn't a resteal hand then, it's a steal hand. Stealing from UTG.

What do you call it when you think someone is raising AT/KJish and you reraise him?

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, don't know if we're misunderstanding each other here or not, but resteal = stealing from what you think is a steal...which doesn't mean it is [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My entire point is that it seems OP is out of line with the resteal here, which is partly a matter of style but mostly (I believe) a matter of being too active with resteals and too many players left to go. Not to mention the fact that OP has no ¤%/£$ clue if the villain's raise is actually a steal based on 2xraises from UTG by villain...but hey, maybe I'm wrong. Would be nice with some input from anyone who's not a LAGtard, or even a different one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming OP has some read that will fold more often that not as he's raising hands that can't stand a reraise, as opposed to reraising here because he feels like it.

Also, there's no rule that says you're not allowed to reraise when you believe Villain can't stand a reraise - whether he's stealing or not.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there's no rule that says you're not allowed to reraise when you believe Villain can't stand a reraise - whether he's stealing or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course not. I dunno, maybe it's all style...I basically never do this, with a totally no-good hand and lots of players to come. Shrug. My read better be damn good...
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course not. I dunno, maybe it's all style...I basically never do this, with a totally no-good hand and lots of players to come. Shrug. My read better be damn good...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do this either unless I'm very deep-stacked and am doing it for image reasons. I just felt like arguing.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do this either unless I'm very deep-stacked and am doing it for image reasons. I just felt like arguing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, nicely argued. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 AM

Bet the flop.

edit: If I'm going to attempt a resteal, I need to think about what hand I'm trying to represent. There isn't a single hand I would reraise an UTG raiser from 3rd position with that I would not continue with a bet on the flop. So bet whatever amount you think gives you the best chance of winning the pot without crippling your stack if it fails. Shut down to resistance unless you get some fluke runner trips or something.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

edit: If I'm going to attempt a resteal, I need to think about what hand I'm trying to represent. There isn't a single hand I would reraise an UTG raiser from 3rd position with that I would not continue with a bet on the flop. So bet whatever amount you think gives you the best chance of winning the pot without crippling your stack if it fails. Shut down to resistance unless you get some fluke runner trips or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do alot of restealing since i'm usually not deep enough to risk it much but this is what goes through my head. And basicly what I have to do to sell the hand i'm pretending I have. As played I think to get him to lay it down after checking the flop after your reraise your gonna have to show massive strength like you hit trips etc. and could risk letting him see a card and with 63o I don't think I could bring myself to go that far... As for the donk bet i've seen guys make this move trying to get people to move all in so they can fold or call depending on if they're holding rags or the nuts and if they have ethier and if you just call the bet it leaves them a chance to run a river bluff with nothing or a big bet that would be sticky to read in my opinion.... but then again i'm on 2 hours of sleep and could be halcinating or something.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:52 PM

So after you resteal for almost half your stack and you have done it to him 2x already and he is last 2 act, he prob will look you up regardless of what he has, knowing that he maybe be able to get this pot for cheap, knowing that his checking and or small bet will have you pot committed anyways also the fact that it will send odd vibes of monster across the table. His stalling obv already had you thinking twice about the resteal. Just my read on the situation, almost half your stack was in the pot right??
Old 05-31-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

nath,

i disagree.

the resteal was preflop -- he thought villian had a wide range, and he thought he could take the pot away. SINCE RESTEALING, he gained information -- villian hollywooded and eventually called the bet. his read was that villian had a big hand (which MIGHT include AK, but I don't think so -- likely ONLY includes big pairs). CBing a flop with that read is terrible.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So after you resteal for almost half your stack and you have done it to him 2x already and he is last 2 act, he prob will look you up regardless of what he has, knowing that he maybe be able to get this pot for cheap, knowing that his checking and or small bet will have you pot committed anyways also the fact that it will send odd vibes of monster across the table. His stalling obv already had you thinking twice about the resteal. Just my read on the situation, almost half your stack was in the pot right??

[/ QUOTE ]

he says in the OP that it was 1/4 of his stack.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he says in the OP that it was 1/4 of his stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, dunno what happened.. Still similar premise, even tho not pot commited, any bet from the Villian that would make sense, if you call you will have a good chunk of your stack in. So any small bets look real fishy and it is safe if he missed the flop, if he does have a monster its also good. I change it up the same way just to give a person that not knowing what is in my hand and wtf is that feeling, minimize a bluff or maybe maximize a monster...

Your right min bet doesnt make any sense at this point, but that is the point.. Or he may just know know what he is doing, it is a $3 rebuy.. Regardless, after call and that flop tuck your tail and move on..