Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: What kind of alchohol should I drink?

I drank heavily, maybe 3x a week over a period of time where I was loosing massive weight (~100lb). I was working out and cutting carbs. I drank exclusively hard liquor, perhaps with a diet coke or something as a chaser. I totally avoided beer. I was doing mostly cardio, not lifting so I can't comment as to what effect it had on my "results."
Old 04-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Vodka + Soda + Lime
Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 PM

Getting drunk rules. I'm going to be shittarded tonight, all day tommorow, and Sunday. I'm also trying to lose a bit of bodyfat before the summer. Here's some reasons why this won't help me:

As has been said, alcohol is very calorie dense. Also, studies have shown (and my own anecdotal evidence [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) that it doesn't make you feel more full. "Empty" calories at its best.

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but...studies have shown alcohol has a direct effect on significantly decreasing testosterone. It also has a similar effect on growth hormone.

Cortisol (stress hormone) has had some mixed studies on its effects. A few studies have shown increases, while others have just shown relatively no change.

Add in alcohol inhibiting protein synthesis, causing a lack of REM sleep, etc. and you don't exactly have a wonder drug for people looking to get in shape.

Since I'm going to drink (and you are too), limiting the amount of alcohol and the amount of calories is the number one thing. Don't drink regular soda (good advice all around), don't drink beer (if the goal is to get drunk), etc.